cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Dual axis function

ELSID
4-Participant

Dual axis function

I am trying to chart a function with respect to sound on one axis and surface area on the other. When I plug in values for the variables, I get a value. However, i can not get the chart to correlate. Scaling issue?
38 REPLIES 38

>I have tried to answer all questions and suggestions as they arise.<<br> ___________________________

You have posted a graph, a very bad graph and you mentioned you had difficulty interpreting a SQRT in the plotting formula: attach the formula.

jmG
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:ptc-1368288)

Formula attached. This is zoomed and cleaned up to the best of my ability.
jmG, how did you digitize the other graph?
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ELSID)

If you Google "In a recent study, Takagi et al. demonstrated that the ASJ model was a simple and useful numerical scheme applicable to the prediction of road traffic noise", this is the top hit:

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=JASMAN000116000005002759000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

I assume it's the paper your snippet is taken from. Perhaps for $25 you should just buy the article. Unless you are being paid slave wages $25 is much less than the cost of the time you will waste guessing and cleaning up images.

Richard

On 11/23/2009 11:09:33 AM, ElSid wrote:
>Formula attached. This is
>zoomed and cleaned up to the
>best of my ability.
>jmG, how did you digitize the
>other graph?

Zoom is an irreversible destructive process. So, the verdict is clear: EQ.9 is not the formula that plots the graphs you had attached previously. There are more missing link(s). You have mentioned Tracer 1.71, this version does not download. Mine is 1.51. I digitized using the Mathsoft digitizer then ksmooth the collected X, Y data set. Eventually the project will give birth.

jmG

PS: Add/remove log(1+x)in the plot

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:ptc-1368288)

On 11/23/2009 1:01:27 PM, jmG wrote:
>Zoom is an irreversible destructive
>process. So, the verdict is clear: EQ.9
>is not the formula that plots the graphs
>you had attached previously.
Correct. The equation was zoomed. The graph was not zoomed and has NOTHING to do with the formula. I am trying to correlate the two.

>You have mentioned
>Tracer 1.71, this version does not
>download. Mine is 1.51.
Per Alvaro suggestion, I started looking into digitalization. I have never done. I tracked down version 1.71 from the author. Will e-mail it to you with author's blessing

> I digitized
>using the Mathsoft digitizer then
>ksmooth the collected X, Y data set.
>Eventually the project will give birth.
Will look at your sheet over for inspiration on digitalization 🙂

>I tracked down version 1.71 from the author. Will e-mail it to you with author's blessing<<br> _________________________________

I will appreciate very much, thanks in advance.
Reading some previous feature about 1.71 vs mine 1.51, I noticed mostly some extra types of files. But to me it's about immaterial because I do it manually from any type of file that show on the screen, then capture the screen shot and plug in tracer as *.bmp. neater is the trace, easier is the job, but in fact not too important like the digitized plot model last posted. The Mathcad built-in ksmooth does the cleanup as well as smoothing. If I can't get a function out of that, then good enough for splining via the points or vis a polyline around the points.

I can't see why it does not download.
It downloads only the link !
The latest version in my download is:

+++ Tracer 1.7 (September 2003) +++
A tool for extracting data from graphs plotted in image files (bmp, jpg, gif,tif).
Tracer should run under any win32 system (Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT).

So, it won't run under XP, are you at Win XP with your Tracer 1.71 ?

ElSid,

Please read carefully the attached.

jmG

On 11/21/2009 12:30:35 AM, ElSid wrote:
>jmG,
>Chart is from source that that
>can no longer be traced.
>Equation is from an article
>from Acoustic Society of
>America (~2004) and I do not
>have the full article. I was
>told they chart and formula)
>correlate well and was trying
>to model it.
>
>The division in the formula is
>correct per the procedures
>previously discussed with Tom.
>The only modification from the
>articles formula is that I am
>eliminating the initial sound
>intensity to get a change. As
>I get further from the source,
>the change should get bigger
>(see the chart). I aexpected
>a graph similar to this, just
>mirrored about change ~14 dB.

You have a graph from source and the source does not exist anymore. Then you have nothing traceable. Was it zapped from public access ? You can't access "article from Acoustic Society of America (~2004)" because you have to be member !!!
>I was told they chart and formula)
>correlate well and was trying to model it.
==> that's seemingly my red lot.
==> Did you reply to Richard
> You have a function of 3 variables. What do you expect ??? <<br> ==> I replied you can plot and export

>The only modification from the
>articles formula is that I am
>eliminating the initial sound
>intensity to get a change.

==> You are just saying that you have something and don't have something.
==> How can readers confirm you are doing right/wrong ?
==> Why don't you show that equation that plots the black graph ?
==> What is a "mirror graph similar to this" ?
==> Similar to which graph.

If you would take care of answering each and all questions from all collabs, answer in term of construct in the work sheet, and if you would show the "paper equation", the project would have been resumed in few visits.

The question is simple:
Show the "paper equation" that plots the black graph and Mathcad will do and do more, no sweat !

jmG
Top Tags