cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Error: Hankel functions of complex argument

SergeyGalyamin
1-Newbie

Error: Hankel functions of complex argument

I'm working with Hankel functions of complex argument. The built-in function H1(m,x) in MathCad 14 (M020, free trial) behave incorrectly at complex x with large |x| (see Hankel 1,2.JPG). Is it possible to fix this problem (may be the appropriate patch is avialable)?
5 REPLIES 5

Collegues, why nobody reply anything? I can imagine 4 reasons:

1. Nobody uses MathCad14 (but this is unreal)

2. Nobody uses Hankel functions in MathCad14 (this is unreal too)

3. Nobody uses Hankel function with the large argument

4. The answer to my question is obvious.

I can't find this post in the Collaboratory, so I assume you posted it on the old PTC forums, so:

5) Almost nobody read the PTC forums, so your question just got missed

Mathcad 15 help says there's a scaled version for large values:

Bessel Functions

"H1 scaled version has a scale factor of exp(-z*i). H2 scaled version has a scale factor of exp(z*i). Type .sc after the function name for the scaled function."

Did that exist in version 14?

Sergey Galyamin wrote:

Collegues, why nobody reply anything? I can imagine 4 reasons:

1. Nobody uses MathCad14 (but this is unreal)

Sergey,

I use Mathcad 14.

Mike

>Collegues, why nobody reply anything ?<

You mention error on large argument, that's possible because of the very poor MuPad in your Mathcad 14. The question is; how to guess "errors". Did you check with Abramowitz ? or which other source. If you don't have a sure source, you have no certitude ! Many mathematical functions have a single range argument and outside this given range, things fly in the blue.

jmG

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jeanGiraud)

You mention error on large argument, that's possible because of the very poor MuPad in your Mathcad 14.

He's not using the symbolic processor for the calculations, so why would it have anything to do with MuPad?

Top Tags