cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Error in root function

ksk_10594232
9-Granite

Error in root function

Hi

I get an error in the root function when a variable exceeds a specific number. See attached file.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I could open the sheet you posted here and now I found the offending position.

Looking closer at the function you are looking for its zeros and plotting it sure helps!

Maybe this is of help to you:

Werner_E_0-1678357434329.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Looks like you attached the wrong file 😉

I could not open the file you sent via PM - I still use P6 and use a trick to be able to open files created with newer versions, as long as they don't use features like drop downs, etc.

When you use root as root(f(x),x,x1,x2), then f(x1) and f(x2) must have different sign. This is obviously not the case in your file.

So either change x1 and/or x2 accordingly, or use the root function with a guess value.

First define a (more or less accurate) guess value like x:=2 and then try root(f(x),x) = ...

The calculation may be sensitive wrt the guess value.

Nope, it should be the right one 🙂 It's the same worksheet as for my previous query, but with a new problem 🙂

ksk_10594232_0-1678344638310.png

ksk_10594232_1-1678344668224.png

Ok, thanks. I have made a try but can unfortunately not get around the problem. Since you have opened my worksheets before, I can't see why this couldn't be opened. 

Thanks for taking time. 

I could open the sheet you posted here and now I found the offending position.

Looking closer at the function you are looking for its zeros and plotting it sure helps!

Maybe this is of help to you:

Werner_E_0-1678357434329.png

Thank you Werner_E!

Very appreciated! 😃

Hi,

if I open Error - Function values.mcdx in Prime 9.0 and run Calculate from Calculation tab then your error appears immediately. From my layman's point of view, there are errors in the file that you have to fix.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags