cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Euler - one question

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Euler - one question

In the book Физико-математические этюды с Mathcad и Интернет , by the way, mentioned by many mathematicians - Russian and foreign. The most mentioned was "Russian-foreign" mathematician, physicist, engineer, astronomer and philosopher Leonhard Euler. He was born in Switzerland (1707), but he has worked for many years and was buried (1783) in St. Petersburg. At the time of the work on the second edition of the book I was in town Riehen close to Basel, where Euler spent his youth and where Euler in his honor, a memorial plaque.

Euler.png

I stood at this memorial sign, remembering math book challenges associated with Euler: the rope formula wound on the pole (p. 141), the method of solving ordinary differential equations (page 222.), The image of the set method using circles (page 265), number theory (p. 338), graph theory (p. 346), shipbuilding theory (study 23), etc. this relief Euler is remarkable in that it is encrypted (see sketch 3.) the name of the great mathematician - Leonard ( "persistent, brave lion "). Sculptor so designed Euler hair, it can be seen that the profile of this king of beasts.

Do you know something about this "Euler-Lion-code"? Only me is visible this lion?

More (but without a lion) - http://www.w-volk.de/museum/plaque10.htm

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Now that you mention it, I see the lion too. But I think it is not as majestic as it should be, it looks a bit too far down. For a fierce, majestic lion it should look more straight, but that would make the hair-dress of Euler look rather awkward...

Luc

Hello Valery,

I do see it too, although it might be a case of paradeiolia. Seeing familiar patterns in nature. But who knows what the artist was up to.

Raiko

P.S.

Come to think about it: I haven't spotted an owl (сова) so far. Might be worth searching for since his surname stems from this animal and as he is denoted as being a "kind human", which is part of wisdom, he might be worth the animal which was the symbol of wisdom in Athens.

Top Tags