cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Forum

TomGutman
1-Newbie

Forum

You have got to be kidding! This thing is supposed to replace the collaboratory?

For starters, how does one fine new (unread) messages? It seems one needs to click on all of the individual areas, with no prior indication as to which might contain new information. And I see nothing indicating anything keeping track of what has been read or not.

Plus the pages are extremely busy, with all kinds of extraneous nonsense. Not a business like, nor useful structure.

I don't think this is going to work.

73 REPLIES 73

I agree.

At the VERY LEAST please give us the ability to see the new documents (since our last visit.)

And while we're on it, is the forum gone? I just got a "connection refused" error message from IE.

I also agree! I'd like to see the topic panel stay in view as I read the messages as well.

I also get the error message when trying to access the old forum.

stv

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:f.kohlhepp)

fkohlhepp wrote:

And while we're on it, is the forum gone? I just got a "connection refused" error message from IE.

The old forum is still there, at least with Firefox, but has been set to Read Only status since May 13.

What concerns me is that PTC seems to have split the forums. Based on the message recently posted to www.ptc.com/support, all peer-to-peer support discussions are supposed to be posted to PTC User, which has a total of 14 threads! Based on that statement, the goal of this forum is unclear to me.

Vic Roberts

Vic, I suspect you are referring to the old official PTC forum. Fred was referring to the collaboratory at: collab.­mathsoft.­com/­~Mathcad2000/

stv

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:AlanStevens)

stv wrote:

Vic, I suspect you are referring to the old official PTC forum. Fred was referring to the collaboratory at: collab.­mathsoft.­com/­~Mathcad2000/

stv

You are correct. The collaboratory is gone.

Vic

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:vroberts)

Victor Roberts wrote:

You are correct. The collaboratory is gone.

It's back up, although I don't know for how long. I think it will stay up, but most of the forums will be locked. Only suspected bugs and feature suggestions will remain open.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:vroberts)

Victor Roberts wrote:

What concerns me is that PTC seems to have split the forums. Based on the message recently posted to www.ptc.com/support, all peer-to-peer support discussions are supposed to be posted to PTC User, which has a total of 14 threads!

I believe that request was mainly aimed at the Pro/E users. I understand that the Collab will reamin around, at least for a while, but only suspected bugs and feature suggestions will be unlocked. Regardless, PTC may want us to post certain things in certain places, but they have no power to make it happen. I have no intention of posting anything on the PTC User site. If I have a susupected bug or a feature suggestion I'll post it either on the Collab, or here (regardless of whether or not there are specific forums for bugs or feature suggestions).

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:TomGutman)

tom_gutman wrote:

For starters, how does one fine new (unread) messages? It seems one needs to click on all of the individual areas, with no prior indication as to which might contain new information. And I see nothing indicating anything keeping track of what has been read or not.

I already pointed this out to them. Unfortunately I posted it in a thread that was in a part of the forum that only existed in the beta version, so it's now gone. I never got a reply before it was deleted.

I don't think this is going to work.

As far as new posts go, that is exactly what I told them. People are just not going to bother to go through every sub-community to see if there is a new post. To exacerbate the problem these communities also allow people to post documents, blogs, and videos separate to the discussions. There is one area for each of these, for each of the sub-communities, and there is no way to know if there is anything new there either.

And, as you say, there is no way to keep track of what has been read.

If they don't fix this soon, I think the Mathcad forums will die.

I just spoke with the Communities manager. It is a high priority to add highlighting to the forums that have new postings in them. It will take about two weeks to have that implemented.

For now, you can go to the main community page and click on Your View (Personalize) and add Recent Activity and Discussions to it. Then the most recent postings will show.

From there, you can click on a post you want to respond to, and answer it, as I just did.

We'll work out the kinks as this is implemented. Give it a try and post as you've done in the past to the Mathcad Collab User Forums.

Mona

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

Mona,

I just tried to do that and failed. It isn't clear what is to be done one you get to the 'recent discussion' line. It almost looks likeyou have to desgign your own layout.

And, by the way the log-in time-out sucks. (at least thats what I think is happening)

Plus I had a personal log-in on the collab, and a corporate log-in on the old PTC support site - how's that to work?

Philip,

You can choose which login you want to use.

To set up seeing recent discussions:

1. Go to main Planet PTC Community page.

2. Click on Your View (personalize).

3. Click on Content.

4. Scroll down to Recent Discussions or Recent Actitivies.

5. I click on Preview small.

6. Click on Publish Layout.

For now, you can only see this view on the main Planet PTC Community Page, but I asked to have this appear on the Mathcad Community page.

There is a place where you can set how many recent messages to see as well.

Mona

Thank you everyone for this feedback. We are trying to provide the best experience possible on PlanetPTC Community and know that there are some enhancements (like the ones mentioned in this thread) that we want to publish. So this feedback is very helpful.

Rachel

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

Part of the problem is that there is a green box that say 'drag me' somewhere that doesn't appear to do anything (I don't know where to drag it!) and there is a load of clutter [Widgets?] that I'd like to get rid off but with no way of doing that. So I've ended up with a long 'new posts' list that is actually displayed below the bottom of the screen (below that other niff-naff and trivia).

The designeres do need to take all these comments and put them into the help file - techy folks often do read the manual 😉

Philip

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson

I already pointed this out to them. Unfortunately I posted it in a thread that was in a part of the forum that only existed in the beta version, so it's now gone. I never got a reply before it was deleted.

Actually, I take that back. The "Discussions" tab on the Mathcad homepage has reappeared, along with several threads about these forums:

https://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad?view=discussions

including this one:

https://communities.ptc.com/thread/31754?tstart=0

The inability to easly and quickly locate new content may be moot. The place seems so generally uninviting that the does not appear to be any new content.

While typing this I noticed that the input editor is very slow, with very noticeable delays between typing a character and having that character appear on the screen. Probably editing using an interpreter, like VBScript.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

tom_gutman wrote:

The inability to easly and quickly locate new content may be moot. The place seems so generally uninviting that the does not appear to be any new content.

I wouldn't make too much of the lack of new content yet. Things are still in the process of switching over.

While typing this I noticed that the input editor is very slow, with very noticeable delays between typing a character and having that character appear on the screen. Probably editing using an interpreter, like VBScript

Strange. I don't have this problem. I did ocassionally have a very slow response to typing on the old PTC forums, but not here (yet?)

Tom,

By using the Browse bar at the very top-right of the page, you may view all new discussions, documents, blogs since your last visit. Bold indicates new or updated posts. Non-highighted indicates read posts. Try it out.

https://communities.ptc.com/threads/

-Dan

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:DanMarotta)

BostonDan wrote:

By using the Browse bar at the very top-right of the page, you may view all new discussions, documents, blogs since your last visit.

If you do that from within a community, for example Mathcad, you still get a list of every discussion in every community. There seems to be no way to filter the list. It would be better if we only saw the discussions in that community and it's subcommunities.

Richard,

Fair enough, an additional filter would be helpful if you only hold interest in one community. We're half way there at least. I'll work to improve the experience, but I can't promise this will happen overnight.

Dan

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

BostonDan wrote:

Fair enough, an additional filter would be helpful if you only hold interest in one community.

I suspect the majority of Pro/E users do not use Mathcad, and do not want to see the Mathcad discussions, and I am sure the majority of Mathcad users do not use Pro/E and therefore do not want to see the pro/E discussions.

but I can't promise this will happen overnight.

Two days is fine

I don't want to filter onto one community, I want to filter out certain communities. I want to see the Pro/E, ProductView and ProductPoint communities. But, nothing from any of the others.

2 days would work for me as well.

Another thing I just noticed - these posts are not in time order. If I want to keep up on the discussion I have to scan through the whole thread to see where the new posts are. How do I make all new post go to the bottom of the thread?

Richard, How did you do the quotes? This should be the default action when you hit the reply then the post should go to the bottom of the list. Otherwise responding to the original post should just add a "no quote" post to the bottom of the thread.

If people are going to use this forum it needs to work logically, not in the complicated manner it does today.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:pwyndham)

Richard, How did you do the quotes? This should be the default action when you hit the reply then the post should go to the bottom of the list. Otherwise responding to the original post should just add a "no quote" post to the bottom of the thread.

Sorry Paul. I only just noticed this post (a casualty of the lack of any flags indicating what's new!).

When you are in the edit dialog it's one of the icons on the toolbar:

Quote.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

The "Discussions" tab on the Mathcad homepage has reappeared, along with several threads about these forums:

https://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad?view=discussions

Now it's gone again! If I try to access the thread

https://communities.ptc.com/thread/31754?tstart=0

I get this:

Unauthorized.png

I see the same thing if I click on the link in an email for the "Where did everyone go?" thread.

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Unauthorized

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.
What does this mean when I try to post!
Philip

Philip, where did you experience this message? It seems you replied to this thread with no issue...

-Dan

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

BostonDan wrote:

Philip, where did you experience this message? It seems you replied to this thread with no issue...

-Dan

I was replying to another message originally (in another window) and up it popped when I pressed the "post message" button. I gave up on that one, then had a go here.

I founf the "Quote button next to the emotiocons and font selection stuff. Unfortunately you can only quote the one you are replying to, rather than gather multiple bits together.

There does appera to be an "HTML" button top right of the edit window that allows something....

Philip

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:PhilipOakley)

And when I post I end up at the top of the thread, not where I was reading/replying leaving me with a long scroll back.

I agree with Philip. I just tested this, and people should wind up back where they were, not at the top of the thread.

Mona

The thing I want most is to have a filter to completely filter out all communities I do not want to see. Eventhough this is in the Mathcad community I do not want to see anything about MathCAD.

Seems like on my home page a lot of the new post are for MathCAD. I don't want to see any of those post. Just post for communities I am following. If I am looking for an anwser to my Pro/E question and see something that looks like it will answer my question I click on it. Then I find out it is for MathCAD. Very frustrating.

Please make absolute filters.

Thanks

Paul

Top Tags