cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Help needed! Solve for side lengths; Minimize perimeter with known area problem

tsullivan-2
1-Newbie

Help needed! Solve for side lengths; Minimize perimeter with known area problem

I'm sorry but this is so basic... but how do you set up a sheet and solver block for this?  Perimeter = 2x + 2y    area = x*y.  What are the shortest lengths, x and y, so we can have a plot of 1000?  Thanks to all.  I know using "minimize" is key...

3 REPLIES 3

The solution is sqrt(1000).= 31.623

And with the minimize function:

ap.png

Tyler Sullivan wrote:

I'm sorry but this is so basic... but how do you set up a sheet and solver block for this?  Perimeter = 2x + 2y    area = x*y.  What are the shortest lengths, x and y, so we can have a plot of 1000?  Thanks to all.  I know using "minimize" is key...

And in case you're using Prime instead of proper Mathcad, here's the Prime 3.1 solution (with Valery's solution alongside):

It's interesting that Prime shows 31.623 but M15 doesn't (I checked in my M15 M040)....

Stuart

Looks like a bug in MC15. Same here with MC15 M030. And it has nothing to do with the units.

Solution is too far away from the square root and when CTOL is set smaller, an error is thrown (and it cannot be traced back to "no solution found"). Strange!

Have not tried but from what I saw above I guess Prime will get the correct 10,10 solution.

WE

Top Tags