cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to plot the two equations

vveeran
4-Participant

How to plot the two equations

Hi,

I want to plot the 2 equations in mathcad,

The two equations are,

2x^2+3y^2=59 (circle)

4y=x+8 (straight line)

these examples are used in Find command in mathcad.

I attached my code below.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem is that Mathcad unfortunately is not able to plot implicit function. So you have to provide explicit functions or turn the equation into a parametric representation.

2x^2+3y^2=59 (circle)

Thats definitely not a circle but an ellipse!

Find uses an numeric algorithm an will only give you just one solution (depending on the guess values). Sometimes you have luck and the symbolic solve command will give you all solutions.

Here is a variation using just the symbolics (be aware that Mathcad's symbolic abilities are rather limited).

As you can see the ellipse is drawn as two plots (upper and lower half) and I have used a rather dense range variable x_ for plotting to avoid bigger gaps at the joints.

For plotting ellipses its much better to use a parametric representation which I guess cannot be found automatically but of course is well known for an ellipse.

Regards, Werner

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

See attached.

Alan

The problem is that Mathcad unfortunately is not able to plot implicit function. So you have to provide explicit functions or turn the equation into a parametric representation.

2x^2+3y^2=59 (circle)

Thats definitely not a circle but an ellipse!

Find uses an numeric algorithm an will only give you just one solution (depending on the guess values). Sometimes you have luck and the symbolic solve command will give you all solutions.

Here is a variation using just the symbolics (be aware that Mathcad's symbolic abilities are rather limited).

As you can see the ellipse is drawn as two plots (upper and lower half) and I have used a rather dense range variable x_ for plotting to avoid bigger gaps at the joints.

For plotting ellipses its much better to use a parametric representation which I guess cannot be found automatically but of course is well known for an ellipse.

Regards, Werner

Top Tags