cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

I'm having difficulty in assigning units to col "0" of an external data file

Jay
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I'm having difficulty in assigning units to col "0" of an external data file

I'm not sure why I'm not able to assign units to column "0" of an externally read data file without getting the error that "the value must be scalar or a matrix" ..? The other columns (1 thru 3 in my example) seem to accept the units definitions. Perhaps I just going about this all wrong, what am I missing, please?

Thanks,

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Jay)

Look at row 489.

You have at least two blocks of corrupted data in column 1.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
IRstuff
3-Visitor

It would be much more useful if you post the actual file, rather than a picture of the file.

TTFN

Jay
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:IRstuff)

Thank-you very much for taking a look at this.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

We need to see the data file and the worksheet that reads it.

Jay
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you ver much for taking a look at this.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Look at row 489.

You have at least two blocks of corrupted data in column 1.

That's something the posted picture would have never shown.

TTFN

Jay
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:IRstuff)

Yes, you are right ... another lesson learned. Thanks for your time.

Jay

Jay
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you ... gee, I'm somewhat embarassed that I didn't notice that. I just received this block of data and didn't look it over too well. Humm ... guess there's a lesson somewhere in there. Thanks again for your time.

Jay

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

So the real question is what is the best way of discovering such mistakes, especially when the error message isn't informative enough? (above and beyond asking those with a spare pair of eyes on some forum )

Philip

So the real question is what is the best way of discovering such mistakes, especially when the error message isn't informative enough?

Always look at the data. Even if you don't have any apparent errors it is a really good idea to look at the data. Scan though the numbers (it's the first thing I did - the only thing I opened was the Excel file). I always graph the data and look at it, although not necessarily in Mathcad (I have other software that allows me to look at a very large number of files very easily). Maybe you see a spike. Or missing values (if you were to graph column 1 that's what you would see in this case). Or some other sort of weird behavior that you know can't be right. Looking at the data may take a little time, but it's likely to be a lot less time than could be wasted chasing red-herring "bugs" in the data analysis!

Top Tags