cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Licence server timeout not working correctly

AndyBerry
1-Newbie

Licence server timeout not working correctly

Hoping for some advice. We have a pool of network licences and are having issues with users accessing licences for days on end which is impacting other users. The servers setup to not allow licence borrowing and also has a timeout setup to reclaim unused licences after an hour but the timeout doesn't seem to work for all users and upto 8 licences confinue to show as in use overnight and are not getting returned to the server.

I've spoken to tech support who advised they're aware of a bug in v14 but that there's no fix. Has anyone else had similar issues and if so found a workaround?

1 REPLY 1
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:AndyBerry)

I've not noticed this problem, but here are some thoughts:

1. use the LMtools to see which user and machine has taken the licences and for how long.

This should allow you to tell when the licence was taken. Then enquire with the user as to what actions they may have been doing at the time (They may not know thay have a licence out)

2. Use Windows Task manager on the relevent PCs and see if there are more than one MathCAD PROCESS running (not just the applications tab).

I would suspect / guess that what has happened is that a user Opened MS Word and the doc file had an embedded MathCAD sheet. This started a hidden process and consumed a licence. The user carried on with other word documents, and never closed Word, leaving the hidden MathCAD app open. The user doesn't log off, but just locks her(his) workstation overnight. All this leaves the hidden mathcad app consuming a licence.

3. Even if you kill / restart the server / service the hidden app will just go fetch a new licence as soon as it comes back on line.

Kill the user log-in to get rid of the app. Force idle PCs to log-out. Tell users they must logout/restart very night! All that corporate nausea....

That's my 2 penny worth

Philip

Message was edited by: Philip Oakley [spelling]

Top Tags