cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

MathCAD doesn't want to display range variables

tylerwat2014
1-Newbie

MathCAD doesn't want to display range variables

So, when I define x:= 1..10 for example, and then push x [=] it just shows me two placeholders and won't show me the table of x-values...any ideas? Funny thing is, when I transfer that same worksheet to a different computer, it works fine. Could it be some weird setting on the first computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm not entirely sure what that means, and i thought about uninstalling and reinstalling but my product key only has one license, so I'm afraid that I would not be able to reinstall it

You should have a license file somewhere. Maybe in the "program file\Mathcad\Mathcad 14\licenses folder". Make a backup of it somewhere.

is that what "repair the installation" means?

Not exactly. Go to "control panel", "add or remove programs", scroll down to "Mathcad" and select it, click on "Change". When the dialog box appears click on "next", and you should see an option to repair the installation.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Which versoins of Mathcad do you have on the two computers?

MathCAD 14 on both

Which versions of 14?

14.0 Academic Version

Actually when i go to about MathCAD it says Mathcad 14.0 M020 (14.0.2.5 [802141434]

You have M020 on both computers?

Yes sir they were both loaded off of the same disc even. Could it be some weird setting? When the second computer showed the variable and sent it back to the first computer, the first one wouldn't show the chart of x values, it was just a blank white rectangle.

No, it's not a setting.

Just to make sure I have this right, you type the following keystrokes:

x:1;10=

correct? It works on one computer, but not on the other.

correct.

Actually, it might be a setting. Go to "Tools", "Calculate", and make sure "Automatic Calculation" is turned on.

yes, it is. Do you want to screen share via Windows live messenger or something so you can play around? unless you have other ideas?

What happens if you type just

x:10=

Also, what happens if you hit <Ctrl> F9?

It can figure out the x:10= no problem. and both f9 and ctrl+[f9] do nothing

How weird!

Try repairing the installation. When something weird is going on that's always worth a shot.

I'm not entirely sure what that means, and i thought about uninstalling and reinstalling but my product key only has one license, so I'm afraid that I would not be able to reinstall it...is that what "repair the installation" means?

I'm not entirely sure what that means, and i thought about uninstalling and reinstalling but my product key only has one license, so I'm afraid that I would not be able to reinstall it

You should have a license file somewhere. Maybe in the "program file\Mathcad\Mathcad 14\licenses folder". Make a backup of it somewhere.

is that what "repair the installation" means?

Not exactly. Go to "control panel", "add or remove programs", scroll down to "Mathcad" and select it, click on "Change". When the dialog box appears click on "next", and you should see an option to repair the installation.

THAT WORKED!! Wow thank you so much I never would have gotten there on my own

Any time software is behaving in a really weird way, try that. It's amazinghow often it fixes things

I will keep that in mind...I never new that was even an option. your help is much appreciated! This problem had a professor of mechanical engineering and a couple of people from engineering network services at a state university stumped!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

Oh, and what happens if you type

x:1;10

then move the cursor to a new location and type

x=

(so no inline evaluation)

and then

x<Ctrl>.

which will give you the symbolic evaluation (you should see a vector of numbers)

the vector/symbolic works, but the non-inline still does not

Top Tags