cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

MathCad vs. MathCad Prime

ptc-3861106
1-Newbie

MathCad vs. MathCad Prime

MathCad Prime is still useless and MathCad is clearly no longer being significantly supported. I need to reconfigure my license every few months. This time, it doesn't seem to work at all. I am pretty much terrified that I will lose all of my work of thousands of hours on MathCad (the legitimate versions of the past). Has anyone found a legitimate program alternative to MathCad 15.0? MathCad Prime is not worthwhile. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can work to recover all of that work without completely regenerating it?

Thanks, Bill

1 REPLY 1

Bill Pedersen wrote:

MathCad Prime is still useless and MathCad is clearly no longer being significantly supported. I need to reconfigure my license every few months.

Why??? Never heard of that. Whats the problem? The license of Mathcad 15 is bound to the MAC of you network card. So as long as the card the license is bound to is present, you should be up and running. Problems may occur when you have WLAN enabled while you installed and disabled when you try to run Mathcad. When Mathcad at installation decides that the WLAN Nic is your primary, then the license is bound to it and you can not disable the WLAN if you want to worl with Mathcad.

Otherwise - install and license once and run many without thinking about licensing at al ist the usual procedure.

This time, it doesn't seem to work at all. I am pretty much terrified that I will lose all of my work of thousands of hours on MathCad (the legitimate versions of the past).

What exactly ist the problem?

MathCad Prime is not worthwhile.

Fully agreed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what can work to recover all of that work without completely regenerating it?

I fear you are demanding too much. Which problem may be a suitable replacement for Mathcad depends on your needs but I guess redoing most of what you have done so far is something you will have to be prepared for in any way.

If your emphasis is on engineering calcs you may give Matlab a try, if you are more balanced towards symbolics, Maple or Mathematica may be a better choice and you may even want to give the free Maxima a try. But none of those programs would be able to read your Mathcad files, of course.

There is a free program named SMath Studio which is very similar in concept to Mathcad. It has some very useful features we were waiting for in Mathcad in vein but it also lacks a lot of important features, too. It even can read and write Mathcad files, but only very basic ones. The program ist still under development and you may give it and some of its useful plugins a try, too - after all its free.

Top Tags