cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Mathcad 14: Display very small numbers.

LMDeBall5257
1-Newbie

Mathcad 14: Display very small numbers.

I am a physicist and I do calculations that result in very small numbers (such as Planck's constant). Mathcad 14 sets the results to zero if the numbers are less than 10**-15. Is there any fix to Mathcad 14 so that I may view the resulting small numbers?

Thank you in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

On 1/29/2010 11:56:57 PM, LMDeBall5257 wrote:
>I am a physicist and I do
>calculations that result in
>very small numbers (such as
>Planck's constant). Mathcad
>14 sets the results to zero if
>the numbers are less than
>10**-15. Is there any fix to
>Mathcad 14 so that I may view
>the resulting small numbers?
>
>Thank you in advance!

Go to Format|Result|Tolerance and set the zero threshold to 307, which is the maximum

TTFN,
Eden

>10**-15.

Actually, it just displays them as zero. It's a dumb default setting chosen years ago by some programmer or engineer that evidently thought anything small didn't really exist.

Click on a blank part of the worksheet, go to format, result, tolerance, and set both values to 307.

Richard

>10**-15. Is there any fix to
>Mathcad 14 so that I may view
>the resulting small numbers?
>
>Thank you in advance!

jmG

Back to that joule*sec vs kgm�/sec
Don't wonder why units system don't print in the mind of the ordinary layman. So, my horse has two names: "Joule" trying to learn the times table [* sec] ... but the next session I call my horse "kgm�" and now trying to learn the division by "sec".
Maybe that's the way to make a horse speak. Also that's why horse don't speak, because they play football all the times with their names. In fact, horse speak with the neck and materialize their happiness by the roundness of their "apple road". When they turn pancake ... give "Him" + oat. In the worst case: call "Doctor Planck" and if it does not work: call a "Mathcad Units system fan".

If you ask for spicy spaghet, the server might ask you for "how many Scott, Sir " ? You should ask for "a lot of Scott" ... Scott is something like a unit of jalapino pepper.

jmG

On 1/30/2010 10:21:14 AM, jmG wrote:
>>On 1/29/2010 11:56:57 PM, LMDeBall5257 wrote:
>>I am a physicist and I do calculations that result in very small numbers (such as Planck's constant). Mathcad 14 sets the results to zero if the numbers are less than 10**-15. Is there any fix to Mathcad 14 so that I may view the resulting small numbers?
== I just have difficulty to accept that a quantity given well specified, the result is returned in another way

See attached.

Stuart

I know all those things, Stuart.

Thanks as it will serve all the readers of this thread. I like much better the unit result display with the km� s(-) rather than the previous 11 and earlier kgm�/sec [ if at least it would have been given in the slanted format !!! ]. I never understood the idea of converting a "name unit" in another one. What bible was on the desk of the brilliants ?
Anyway, the collab has been answered.
For this unit format, users of version 11 and earlier, you can save Stuart work sheet as template. I will probably retain this format. But better leave the pi*h as dummy initiator.

jmG
Top Tags