cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Mathcad Prime 7 Converter Fails with Very Simple Worksheets

vroberts
6-Contributor

Mathcad Prime 7 Converter Fails with Very Simple Worksheets

I downloaded and installed Prime 7.0 and the new converter that is supposed to convert MC15 worksheets to Prime 7.0 worksheets.  The first two MC15 worksheets I converted were claimed to have been converted, but did not work properly in Prime 7.

The more complicated one had a plot which uses a format that may not be supported in Prime 7, but the second file is a mystery. It is an extremely basic worksheet, so basic that it could be argued that I'm wasting the power of MC, but the file does use units. After conversion, the Prime 7 worksheet would not work until I removed and replaced at least some of the units and the PI symbol.

It seems as if the converter is unable to properly recognize and convert unit symbols and PI. If so, this is a massive fail.

Three files are attached. The MC15 file, the Prime 7 file as converted, and the converted Prime 7 file as fixed.

If I am making some stupid mistake, please let me know.

33 REPLIES 33

@StuartBruff wrote

As an example, look at the if-elseif-else replacement for if-otherwise.   if-otherwise certainly needed a rework, as it had ambiguities and could be difficult to interpret.  However, it was vertically compact, which its if-elseif-else is not.  Moreover, given that one of the much-touted features of Mathcad is its heavy use of mathematical notation, why did we get a programming notation instead of the standard piecewise brace notation (additional to, yes, but)?  I've yet to see a mathematical paper use if-elseif-else in place of braces ...

You can get close to brackets thanks to the way Mathcad treats vector dot products:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1633004212099.png

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

@StuartBruff wrote

As an example, look at the if-elseif-else replacement for if-otherwise.   if-otherwise certainly needed a rework, as it had ambiguities and could be difficult to interpret.  However, it was vertically compact, which its if-elseif-else is not.  Moreover, given that one of the much-touted features of Mathcad is its heavy use of mathematical notation, why did we get a programming notation instead of the standard piecewise brace notation (additional to, yes, but)?  I've yet to see a mathematical paper use if-elseif-else in place of braces ...

You can get close to brackets thanks to the way Mathcad treats vector dot products:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1633004212099.png

You can, but a problem with this approach is that Mathcad evaluates all of the expressions, unlike with a conditional.   This means that situations could arise where a value for any of the clauses can lead to an error, even though it is not selected.

In the rather contrived example for function g below, x = 1, implying the second condition is true, so g(1,a,b,c) should, in principle, return ½.   Instead, it flags up the divide by zero error in the 3rd expression.   

function h has a NaN as one of the expression values.  Consequently, the scalar product of expressions and conditions has NaN • 0, which results in a NaN.  This is turn gets multiplied by the correct value of 0.5, but 0.5 times NaN = NaN.

And, of course, it may be that each of those expressions takes a long time to evaluate, thus slowing down the function, which can become problematic if the function is used many times (eg, over a large, closely-spaced set of values).

2021 10 01 A.png

Mathcad Prime Express v7.0 was used in the making of this message.   No humans or cute puppies were hurt as a result of creating this message ... although the same cannot be said of the wasp buzzing around my head.

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

Wasps are cute and useful animals too.

For one: they prevent flies from buzzing around your head...

I've helped I think some 20 young queens to escape my house. They left their nest at the wrong side, and were trapped in a dark space below the roof. They were scared and slow, so it was easy to catch them in a glass and bring them out to fly away happily. I'm sure a few have managed to start a new colony.

Haven't seen many flies since.

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

I don't mind wasps.   I try to think of them as bees with a bad press.  😉

However, we have a nest somewhere in the house and the place is reminding of the title of the book by the (Scottish) author of the Culture series of books.   (Anyone familiar with the names of SpaceX's recovery vehicles should know about Minds)

I have determined that wasps are probably amongst the least intelligent of insects.  I open windows for them, and they still insist on trying to find a way out through the glass, even to the point of flying past the gap to adjacent panes.   I've manually thrown out but a tithe of the creatures, which is why my house is beginning to look like a waspoleum.  I actually feel sorry for the poor things ... a feeling not necessarily universally shared in the household.

I wonder if I can design a Mathcad interface to help them navigate better?

Could be a bit of a challenge in Express 7.0 ...

I'll have to free up some space in the basement dungeon laboratory first, though.

Stuart

https://www.3printr.com/how-to-design-a-robotic-wasp-using-3d-modelling-software-3329828/

Top Tags