cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad Prime - Who need it ?

syaacoby
4-Participant

Mathcad Prime - Who need it ?

When you purchase PRIME the only thing that worth to you is that you get MC 15 ...

You can put PRIME in the drawer of the your desk and start to work with the real software... MC 15.

Thanks to god that we get MC 15 ... (As a converting tool ... But who want to convert his documents to useless PRIME ?)

There is no way to buy only MC 15... This is a very strange way to promote a new worse product ...

Remember, PTC can force us to have PRIME in the drawer ... but never force us to use it !!!

I hope MC 15 will live forever ! - Or at least until PTC will wake up ...

SHEMY

16 REPLIES 16
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:syaacoby)

shemy yaacoby wrote:

When you purchase PRIME the only thing that worth to you is that you get MC 15 ...

You can put PRIME in the drawer of the your desk and start to work with the real software... MC 15.

Thanks to god that we get MC 15 ... (As a converting tool ... But who want to convert his documents to useless PRIME ?)

There is no way to buy only MC 15... This is a very strange way to promote a new worse product ...

Remember, PTC can force us to have PRIME in the drawer ... but never force us to use it !!!

I hope MC 15 will live forever ! - Or at least until PTC will wake up ...

SHEMY

They cannot force you to use it, but I suspect one day in the near future PTC will cease support for M15 and the user will have to make a choice. Use an old unsupported piece of software or take the plunge.......

They have promoted this way to get Prime out and in the public eye. Prime has enough fundamental tools for new users and (very) basic operations, which will allow them to sell to colleges and universities.

They KNOW that Prime is not up to the appropriate level as MC15. They will keep MC15 alive until then. Even if the users now are retired by then.

So, until then, I suggest PTC to add the word "BETA" to all versions of PRIME ...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:syaacoby)

shemy yaacoby wrote:

So, until then, I suggest PTC to add the word "BETA" to all versions of PRIME ...

Andy Hermanson wrote:

They KNOW that Prime is not up to the appropriate level as MC15. They will keep MC15 alive until then. Even if the users now are retired by then.

I fully agree. But PTC intended that to be version 4 of Prime, which I think is very optimistic.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Andy Hermanson wrote:

I fully agree. But PTC intended that to be version 4 of Prime, which I think is very optimistic.

...and rather unrealistic, given the "progress" (just kidding) Prime has made so far.

I need it!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Valery Ochkov wrote:

I need it!

For teaching purposes?

Why Mathcad 15 OR Prime?

Mathcad 15 AND Prime!

Sometime Mathcad 15 is for me a toy and Prime is a tool.

Sometime Prime is for me a toy and 15 is a tool?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

That's fair enough Valery. Having said that, I am yet to produce a single document using Prime as it lacks core features.

I am yet to produce a single document using Prime as it lacks core features.

Ditto.

Valery Ochkov wrote:

I need it!

You need ... what??

Prime? Really? As a nightmare example??

MarkBuckton
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

Prime 3 a "nightmare" unfortunately I Totally agree. What company other than PTC charges its customers subscription fees for software which is inferior to previous versions? PTC have dumbed down Mathcad so much that in the future their main competitor in the math calculation space will be Microsoft’s window’s system calculator.

At the rate at which PTC impoverishes Mathcad, in not too many years’ from now, Mathcad’s feature set will be on par with Microsoft’s system calculator . PTC and Microsoft have a similar software philosophy - if their software works well then it muts be time to break it. Obviously if it works too well, middle management will be out of a job. Thus, one can only conclude it must be time to break the code.

But like humpty dumpty’s men, PTC's men haven’t any idea how to put the Mathcad code back together again. Sadly its users are left with a mere shell of a program with egg splatted over the face of both PTC and its loyal subscription paying customers. I would suggest that PTC start to innovate rather than continue to buy companies which they don’t understand and as a consequence destroy due to ignorance.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MarkBuckton)

Nicely put Mark.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Valery Ochkov wrote:

I need it!

You need ... what??

Prime? Really? As a nightmare example??

Realy!

I have a lot of examples where I need Prime.

Realy!

I have a lot of examples where I need Prime.

I remember that you had posted some Prime sheets and you were very happy to be able to use units in situations where this was not possible in Mathcad. Admittedly, this is an improvement even if the unit awareness of Prime still has a lot of white spots.

Top Tags