cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Mathcad Prime crashes when I use absolute or Determinant function in IF statement

avarma
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime crashes when I use absolute or Determinant function in IF statement

Hello All,

My requirement is simple I want to compare two numbers and I want the maximum value in return irrespective of its sign. This is how I tried in Excel if (abs(A)>abs(b),A,B) and it worked well.

I tried the same function in Prime3.1 and it crashes every single time I used it. One more thing what I've observed is, the IF statement is working fine when I haven't used Abs function or Determinant operator  in it. The real problem arrives only when I include Abs function in it.

Someone could please help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ashok

12 REPLIES 12
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:avarma)

Ashok Varma wrote:

Hello All,

My requirement is simple I want to compare two numbers and I want the maximum value in return irrespective of its sign. This is how I tried in Excel if (abs(A)>abs(b),A,B) and it worked well.

I tried the same function in Prime3.1 and it crashes every single time I used it. One more thing what I've observed is, the IF statement is working fine when I haven't used Abs function or Determinant operator  in it. The real problem arrives only when I include Abs function in it.

Someone could please help me in resolving this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ashok

Could you please post a worksheet with an example of it crashing?  I don't seem to be having the same problem. Thanks,

Stuart

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi,

Try to turn off "Multithreading" option:

1. Go to "Calculation" tab --> "Calculation Options" button.

2. Click on the "Multithreading" button.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

VladimirN. wrote:

Hi,

Try to turn off "Multithreading" option:

1. Go to "Calculation" tab --> "Calculation Options" button.

2. Click on the "Multithreading" button.

Well, turning it on crashed my Prime 3.1 after clicking Calculate a few times.  The worksheet raised an mpl% exception error for f(-1,-3), the first couple of times, then threw its teddy bears out of the cot the third time.   Unfortunately, whatever was going on prevented me from getting a screen shot using the PrtSc key on my Win 10 PC.

Stuart

You use Win x86 or x64-bit OS?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

You use Win x86 or x64-bit OS?

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @2.2 GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

It seems that this option crashes the 64-bit version of the program.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Stuart

Скажити мне, пожалуйста, Владимир. Кто русской эквивалент "Мерфи" - невидимый человек, который гарантирует, что "если что-то может пойти не так, это будет"?

StuartBruff wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Because you're too smart for a regular user of the program .

StuartBruff wrote:

Скажити мне, пожалуйста, Владимир. Кто русской эквивалент "Мерфи" - невидимый человек, который гарантирует, что "если что-то может пойти не так, это будет"?

Stuart,

Could you give an example of an English-speaking environment, to make it more clear what you mean?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

VladimirN. wrote:

StuartBruff wrote:

Typical.  Why me?

Because you're too smart for a regular user of the program .

StuartBruff wrote:

Stuart,

Could you give an example of an English-speaking environment, to make it more clear what you mean?

It's OK, Vladimir.. I found it: Murphy is Мерфи pa Russki.

Stuart

http://murphy-law.net.ru/

VladimirN. wrote:

Yeah I turned off Multithreading and still it was crashing and I'm using 64 bit version. I could able to take the snap shot off error and attached those pictures here. What would be the solution for it now .

Thanks,

AshokError.PNGMathCAD_Error1.PNGMathCAD_Error2.PNG.PNG

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Ashok Varma wrote:

VladimirN. wrote:

Yeah I turned off Multithreading and still it was crashing and I'm using 64 bit version. I could able to take the snap shot off error and attached those pictures here. What would be the solution for it now .

You could try something along the lines of replacing the |expr A| >= |expr B| by a function that carries out magnitude comparison by a different means.  For example,

Stuart

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

And have you tried reinstalling the program?

Top Tags