cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad Prime - saving options

BS_6715341
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime - saving options

Hello!

Is it possible to create at worksheet, where when you open it, you have to save it as a new worksheet?

7 REPLIES 7

In full Mathcad Prime if you open a template it must be named to be saved.  save This is useful if you have a lot of common information; put all of the common stuff in the template, when you open it you can add the unique parts and save it as a file.  Templates are disabled in Express.

I suppose I have to give you a Kudo, Fred, because your answer is the same as mine!  Or vice versa ... 😃  

Yours was explained much better.  Luc topped us both!

@BS_6715341 wrote:

Hello!

Is it possible to create at worksheet, where when you open it, you have to save it as a new worksheet?

In general, no.  However, there is a specific type of worksheet that will do this, the Template worksheet:   If you are a current Mathcad Prime subscriber then you can set up various templates for whatever uses you have.   You can include specific equations, formats, drawings, plots, etc in the template worksheet.   If you open a template, Mathcad will ask you to save it when you close it.   You can save any worksheet as a template.

If you're a Mathcad Express user, you're stuck with just the provided templates.

https://support.ptc.com/help/mathcad/r7.0/en/index.html#page/PTC_Mathcad_Help%2Fabout_templates.html

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

"If you're a Mathcad Express user, you're stuck with just the provided templates."

Fortunately there's a way around that.

Your link provides this information on the .mctx file:

"It is identical in content and form to a .mcdx worksheet file."

Which means that you can, even in Express, create your own template in a default.mcdx file, then rename that to default.mctx and put it in the right spot....

Have a look here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Installation/Copy-template-settings/m-p/755149#M1051

I've changed my default template to use different font appearances for each label type, that should mitigate the autolabelling nightmare.

Success!
Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

@LucMeekes wrote:

"If you're a Mathcad Express user, you're stuck with just the provided templates."

Fortunately there's a way around that.

Your link provides this information on the .mctx file:

"It is identical in content and form to a .mcdx worksheet file."

Which means that you can, even in Express, create your own template in a default.mcdx file, then rename that to default.mctx and put it in the right spot....

Have a look here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Installation/Copy-template-settings/m-p/755149#M1051

I've changed my default template to use different font appearances for each label type, that should mitigate the autolabelling nightmare.

You're right.  I'd forgotten that - it's what I did for my templates at one point (my current set are from when I had a Prime 7 trial).

I think the reason it escaped me (apart from time and my normal forgetfulness) is that it may require administrator access, which can be problematic in some organizations. (*)

Stuart

(*) I do recall the problems I had when Mathsoft "fixed" the infinite recursion error that prevented PCs crashing when a user forgot to include a halt condition.  The "solution" was to put an arbitrary limit on recursion depth - "Who'd want to have a recursion depth of more than 100?", they said. I *hate*NumberedEquation1 it when designers decide upon the creative limits or needs of the user, or cripple features because a new/inexperienced/unimaginative/parochial user gets bitten or doesn't like something!!!!! There are usually several potential ways that meet the needs of the latter whilst giving flexibility to the more experienced/advanced users.

Anyway, after I whinily whinged about it, a fix arose - alter the recursion depth limit in the Registry.   My work IT dept was not amused, so I whined at them, as well, until they gave me extended local administrator rights.  Naturally, the compatibility of some of my worksheets dropped to zero.  😕

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:BS_6715341)

Apart from the template file .mctx, there is another method to ensure that a file cannot be saved under the same name:

Set the file properties to Read-only. This cannot be done from within Prime though, you need to do that through windows, e.g. using the File explorer.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags