cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Maximum power in solar cell

g1lai
1-Newbie

Maximum power in solar cell

I want to calculate the maximum power in solar cell as a function of temperature and insolation based on 1 diode model. However, the program does not seems right.
14 REPLIES 14
g1lai
1-Newbie
(To:g1lai)

Sorry the previous worksheet cannot be opened. Please look this one.
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:g1lai)

Several problems.

1) Solve blocks are not allowed in programs. You have to functionalize the solve block and call the function

2) In your local function definition for dixvop(x,m1,m2) the first argument, x, does not appear on the rhs. That means when you call the function you could pass any value you like as the first argument, and it would have no effect whatsoever.

3) you define vmax[m1,m2, but the m1 and m2 outside the program are not the same as the m1 and m2 inside the program. The m1 and m2 outside the program are defined as range variables, so you are forcing it to calculate the program m1xm2 times, all of which will return the same results, and generate a huge nested array.

Richard

On 8/30/2009 9:38:56 AM, rijackson wrote:
>Several problems.
> ................
>Richard

Several problems you may not be aware if you hadn't followed the evolution. There were so many models to fit that at some points the single diode had several models too. The one that apparently was fixed is this one here [sheet EQ.1]. I compacted it for 14 to run whereas the 14 symbolic is incapable. Tom and myself had same result. The original work sheet was such a bloody mess that I recreated visible, but the collab replied that he couldn't afford redoing because he had to pay $ 2000 per work sheet, and never replied if my work sheet was running OK on his machine. Therefore collaboration is not possible via mail boy only, and obstination to repost in the 14 version the creator, myself, can't read.
The visit was for maxPWR for different T, here they are are for you to read in the original 11.2a, if you can do + . I have done manual quick, the request is complete and won't bother to plug in program. Sarcastic enough, the maxPWR was done in my last reply months ago [sheet EQ.1], and it was not even demanded for ! and not even acknowledged at the time !!!

jmG

... data table added for export

jmG

On 8/30/2009 8:48:26 AM, g1lai wrote:
>I want to calculate the
>maximum power in solar cell as
>a function of temperature and
>insolation based on 1 diode
>model. However, the program
>does not seems right.

From the Mathcad 11.2a work sheet, specially created for you, but you never replied if your work sheet subcontractor charging you lot of $ made it work or not in Mathcad 14.

jmG

Thanks Richard and jmG.
jmG, your work sheet is perfect for my project. Most of my following work is based on it. I appreciate your help.

On 8/30/2009 11:38:29 AM, g1lai wrote:
>Thanks Richard and jmG.
>jmG, your work sheet is
>perfect for my project. Most
>of my following work is based
>on it. I appreciate your help.

You never said so before that it worked fine !

Reading Richard comments, it seems you had reposted your very original work sheet, why not mine then ? Collaboration can't coexist within confusion. Only repost what's clean, clear and good as far as it goes.

jmG

The original part is hidden in my worksheet. Only the questioned part is shown.

This work includes a slider from 273...320 in increments of 1K. As you will slide from the 0 position to the last (not messing steps) it will plug APPENDPRN in the file, resulting in the data table of all power and Volt at those T [K]. It duplicates the 2nd point 274 and you will have to play . There is surely a trick, but don't have it in head. It can be programmed and you may have it done by collabs reading this sheet.

Enjoy, cheers.

jmG

This work sheet did recuperate the previous messed one and the maximized data are collected in an independent table for printing. A decimal interpolator has been added, working well though not elegant but this is the way it usually comes out of an initial brew. Often there is a ready made tool. I might have one, but where in the hay pile ?

Resume ... it does:
1. solve for the maximized PWR in the range of T = 273..320K
2. c/w the corresponding V [Volt]
3. enables interpolating for decimal T in the data table.

If that's what you were looking for, considering your very original experimental data set that enabled the fit, please confirm in case elegance and functionality can by applied. Remember, those fitting coefficients are those extracted from an optimized Given/Find work sheet that was posted and that you might have saved.

jmG

... here is an elegant compacted/programmed linear interpolator. Easy to copy/paste to any other similar application, that can be adapted for larger data tables.

jmG

... there is a strange relationship between the maxPWR and the Volt at which the maxPWR occurs . In numerical values, at 273K the maxPwr is 37.12 times greater than the Volt and at 320K, the maxPWR is 37.17 times greater than the Volt, i.e: an almost constant relationship. The plot of the ratio over the range is a bit curious, but that might have resulted from collecting only 5 decimals.

jmG

...here is the plot of the ratio Volt/maxPWR at higher accuracy.

jmG

...because I0 is strongly temperature dependent.
Top Tags