cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Mixed Number Format

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Mixed Number Format

PS
See the second part of this video
http://url.wolfram.com/3qgPyCs/
My resume:
Mathcad and Mathcad users is not worse than Mathematica and Mathematica users 😉

Val
http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
12 REPLIES 12

It seems, that the settings only apply to numeric/decimal results and not to "exact" symbolic ones.
Look at the simpler example.
Not sure if it should be called a bug.

What puzzles me is that changing a "0" in one of your symbolic evaluated equation to "0.0" shows no change. I expected this to force the symbolic result to decimals.

Regards
RMix

There is an option to apply results formatting to symbolic results. If the picture is to be believed, that option has been chosen.

Since VFO chose to post just a picture and not the actual Mathcad worksheet I can't really play around with it (I'm not about to try to retype the worksheet). But I suspect that the issue is that what is being displayed is not a pair of numbers, subject to results formatting, but rather a pair of expressions, each expression being the ratio of two integers, with the results formatting being applied to the numbers involved (i.e., the integers). There is no formatting as a fraction to which the mixed numbers option could be applied.

>results formatting, but rather
>a pair of expressions, each
>expression being the ratio of
>two integers, with the results
>formatting being applied to
>the numbers involved (i.e.,
>the integers). There is no
>formatting as a fraction to
>which the mixed numbers option
>could be applied.

Yes, think thats what happened. For Mathcad an exact fraction ist not treated as a decimal number and the formatting does not apply.
Not a bug, I think, but somewhat irritating nonetheless.
Of course you can force the desired display by using the float-modifier and changing the fraction to a single decimal number.

Regards
RMix

BTW - off topic: How do you manage to show an inline image in the middle of your text and not at the end?

On 1/24/2010 6:49:25 AM, rmix22 wrote:

>BTW - off topic: How do you
>manage to show an inline image
>in the middle of your text and
>not at the end?

Jean just posted the answer to that question here:

http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000/read?132666,11

I'm not sure why he didn't just post the answer in this thread.

Note that the path in "img src=/upload/name of image.gif" has forward slashes (HTML) not back slashes (Windoze).

Richard

On 1/24/2010 10:05:35 AM, rijackson wrote:

>Jean just posted the answer to that
>question here:

Thanks for pointing me to that.

>I'm not sure why he didn't just post the
>answer in this thread.

Probably because it beeing off-topic and has nothing to do with MC14 bugs.

Thanks and sincerely

RMix

>Probably because it being off-topic
>and has nothing to do with MC14 bugs.
>Thanks and sincerely

>RMix

It had nothing to do with the topic !
From the beginning, topics weren't respected at all and so many good subjects do start with no recognizable topic name that I started posting only in the "Mathcad usage chat", rarely in other topics. And all that is no material because the search engine is dead, it dies in the same day. That was reported many times, not to avail not even worth attention.

Now, insert your image in line if that's what you are referring to.

Jean

>And all that is no material
>because the search engine is
>dead, it dies in the same day.
>That was reported many times,
>not to avail not even worth
>attention.

Yes, I remember that you mentioned a broken search engine in some of your posts.
I wonder whats that all about, 'cause I just made a search for "animation AND embed" and it gave me 10 references and I am now aware that others have the same problems with embeded avi's than I have.

Do you think that the search engine is totally broken (which it oviously is not) or is there something else wrong with it?

Regards
RMix

On 1/24/2010 6:26:39 PM, rmix22 wrote:
>...
>Do you think that the search
>engine is totally broken
>(which it obviously is not) or
>is there something else wrong
>with it?
>
>Regards
>RMix

Answer: totally broken, i.e:
The search by thread content words is totally broken. Next minute, it wouldn't retrieve the exact thread. What the search engine does it looks for some lose words in the mass of the text data base with seemingly a limited number of finding, like the free Kopernic was before it was acquired by Google. The free Kopernic was limited to 100 searches, the Kopernic pro was limitless. Try for instance "spline", there are several 1000's but about none will retrieve mines, even on an exact thread name !!!. Could it be the search engine is exclusive from some originating address ? Question for Watson. Maybe if the exact thread wording was in the body of the text it will retrieve, never tried. What I'm saying is that searching an exact thread does not exist anymore, not like it was before Google-Wiki style.

jmG

On 1/23/2010 9:35:08 PM, Tom_Gutman wrote:
>Since VFO chose to post just a
>picture and not the actual
>Mathcad worksheet I can't
>really play around with it
>(I'm not about to try to
>retype the worksheet).

The file in attach!

Val

Yep, it's what I thought. The 4/3 and 28/27 are not numbers (subject to result formatting) but expressions. The numbers, which are subject to display formatting, are 4, 3, 28, and 27. Using the float keyword replaces the expressions with numbers which then can be formatted by the format results dialog.

Why we can not have expressions 1 1/3 and 1 1/27 (mixed number)?
Val

>>Why we can not have expressions 1 1/3 and 1 1/27 (mixed number)?<<

You can. ctrl-+

But the symbolic processor does not generate such expressions, because the underlying symbolic engine does not generate such a data type. The CAS has a data type of rational number, which the symbolic processor converts to an expression that is the ratio of two integers.