cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Nonlinear Optimization in Mathcad 15

HusseinNaserald
1-Newbie

Nonlinear Optimization in Mathcad 15

Hello,

I am using Mathcad 15 on Win 7 X32. I work a lot with (engineering) optimization problems, most of which are nonlinear. in most of the cases the solution converges to a solution that is not global optimum and this is typical. See for example the following problem:

My question is if you have some tips that can help to find the optimal global solution.

thanks,

Hussein

prob1.JPG

1 REPLY 1

Hussein Naseraldin wrote:

Hello,

I am using Mathcad 15 on Win 7 X32. I work a lot with (engineering) optimization problems, most of which are nonlinear. in most of the cases the solution converges to a solution that is not global optimum and this is typical. See for example the following problem:

My question is if you have some tips that can help to find the optimal global solution.

thanks,

Hussein

Try an initial guess that complies with the constraints you specify within the solve block!

Alternatively, right-click on Maximize, choose Non-linear, Advanced Options and change Derivative estimation from Central to Forward.

Alan

Top Tags