cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Number of Digits - Symbolics

thl
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Number of Digits - Symbolics

I am having trouble. As a total newbie I am sure that doing something wrong.

I am doing a calculation package for a client and I want it to look nice and simple. I am doing some calculation, but I do not know all the variables. But the client will eventually. So what I am doing is generating a simple equation for them to use in their calculation. I thought that using symbolics would be the way to go. Please see the included file.

This is working great except for the fact that 17 digits after the decimal place are being returned, when I only need a couple.

I found that I could limit the number of digits using the float operator. I don't really like this because when people review these calculations they will ask me what "float" means (it is ugly). Also I understand that it will reduce the accuracy of the calc. I realize that I don't really need the perfect number, but it is a good thing to know.

Whatever help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:thl)

In Mathcad (15 and below) you would have the opportunity to use the format menu for numeric results for symbolics, too and let show a small number digit while preserving full accuracy.

I fear in Prime thats not possible. You must understand that Prime is in no way a fully finished product yet (they call it 2.0 but it is 0.2) and its still a work in progress which I wouldn't use voluntarily. I guess, you have no choice, though.

Would it be an option to make Ca1 a function of the unknowns? As soon as your customer provides the missing values it would evaluate.

numberdig.png

thl
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for the help. I had hoped that there was a better solution. Waiting until later is not really an option. We'll just have to deal with the float.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:thl)

Todd LaVielle wrote:

Thanks for the help. I had hoped that there was a better solution.

Not (yet?) in Prime, I fear.

Waiting until later is not really an option.

Better not wait but "step back" to MC15, if ever possible. Would be a huge step forward anyway!

We'll just have to deal with the float.

The big drawback here is the loss of accuracy. Its not only the end result, which is rounded to the number of significant digits, but the whole calculations (with all intermediate calcs) would be done with that limited precision only.

Top Tags