cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Plane, sphere and cone

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Plane, sphere and cone

I want to solve three equations with three unknowns and display the solution on a 3D graph with two points - the roots of the equation.
I can’t find Vyacheslav Mezentsev’s utility (Mathcad 15 or Prime) for such drawing two close surface. Help please.

2-18a.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I would like to have someone in my town

Tatlin.png

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

The drawing you show does in no way fit the three equations you give!

Given the equations, the apex of the elliptical cone and the center of the sphere both are the origin and the plane does not necessarily intersect the cone axis at right angles!

Not sure if uni's tools will help you to get the drawing you are looking for. Find them attached for MC15 and P2.

Good luck!

Thanks, Werner!

My try with MC152-18a.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Prime 9

image.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:ttokoro)

MathCad 15 :

Cone-Spere-Plane ( i ) II.pngCone-Spere-Plane ( i ) I.png

Cone-Spere-Plane-Trace.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Many thanks for this approach, Valery. 😊 It's a new to me and it speeds up the calculation :

Trace I.PNGTrace II.PNG

Regards.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Trace I.PNGTrace II.PNGTrace III.PNG

Trace VI.PNG

( 5 Plots )

---

Trace IV.PNG

Trace V.PNG 

( 17 Plots )

@ttokoro wrote:

Prime 9

image.png

Without lighting  😞

Send please the Prime file!

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Converted by Prime 9.

From your initial posting I got the impression that you intended to cut off the top and highlight the common points?

Werner_E_0-1708456184310.png

I wanted to show my students what conic sections are - ellipse, parabola and hyperbola.

Ellipse-Hyperbola.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

I wanted to show my students what conic sections are - ellipse, parabola and hyperbola.

Now that's far away from your initial question!

But If just that kind of picture is the goal, you are far better off in using a parametric representation of the cone and the native 3D plot facilities of Mathcad. Would be much faster and would not show any bad artefacts. Speed is essential especially in case when you plan to create a nice animation ...  You sure remember that someone here in the forum used to say that without an animation its not a solution 😉

A played around a bit and I fear that Mathcad and implicitplot3D are not the most suitable tools to create the type of illustrations you initially asked for 😞

Werner_E_0-1708482189179.png

In case someone wants to play around I attach the M15 worksheet. Don't forget to set the variable "pre" to zero for your own attempts.

You sure remember that someone here in the forum used to say that without an animation its not a solution

From ellipse to hyperbola thru parabola

Cone-Plane.gif

parabolas ellipses and hyperbolas 

Here is a first attempt using Mathcad's native plotting facilities, avoiding the use of implicitplot3d().
Unfortunately the age old codec used by Mathcad does not allow for the amount of colors necessary.

Werner_E_0-1708494384287.png

Kegelschnitte2.gif

Had to create the file in lower quality because this forum did not allow to embed a picture larger than 9,79 MB.

The attached avi-file is of a little better quality.

Tatlin.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Really!?

But I sure see that this must be the solution to your question 😉

If you really like the Tatlin tower so much, then you should buy a model or print it yourself ...

https://free3d.com/de/3d-model/tatlin-s-tower-9119.html

Top Tags