cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Plotting failed. Replace complex values and NaNs by real numbers.

Ln3
2-Guest
2-Guest

Plotting failed. Replace complex values and NaNs by real numbers.

Hello,

I am new to MathCad. I plotted the freefall equation and solved for x and z. Then I would like to plot the velocity, so x' and z' but get the error: "replace with complex values and NaNs by real numbers". It shouldn't have complex values and NaNs, I have checked the odesolve syntax, the time step and the units, but still can't find the mistake.

Would appreciate help! The file is attached.

Thanks in advance!

Ln

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Ln3)

You may consider using a simple range variable for t rather than the vector you used.

Werner_E_0-1586184582497.png

I am not quite sure why Prime has problems with the way you had set up the sheet - it should work OK. But Prime seems to have problems with the combination of the vector t and the derivative operator. We may call it a bug.

Another way around this problem/bug is to define the derivatives as separate functions and use these:

Werner_E_1-1586184932221.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

There's something weird going on in your sheet.

The two functions x1'(t) and z1'(t) are not defined which I think is what causes the error message for your plot.

But I would have expected an error message at the definition of v1(t), which uses those two undefined functions.

Luc

Hey Luc,

I thought it is enough to define the u0 and v0, and when solving x and z, it should calculate x'(t) and z'(t). If I insert a single value for t, I also get a plausible answer.

Do you have an idea why I get these results as well as the plot v1(t)?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:LucMeekes)

> The two functions x1'(t) and z1'(t) are not defined

No, its the derivative operator which should be fully functional in Prime (in  real Mathcad we could only use it in a solve block with odesolve).

As written in my answer to the OP I consider it a bug of Prime as it looks like its the combination of vector argument and derivative operator which causes that error.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

You may consider using a simple range variable for t rather than the vector you used.

Werner_E_0-1586184582497.png

I am not quite sure why Prime has problems with the way you had set up the sheet - it should work OK. But Prime seems to have problems with the combination of the vector t and the derivative operator. We may call it a bug.

Another way around this problem/bug is to define the derivatives as separate functions and use these:

Werner_E_1-1586184932221.png

Ln3
2-Guest
2-Guest
(To:Werner_E)

ok, thank you Werner!

Announcements

Top Tags