cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Problem with the symbolic hypergeometric function

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Problem with the symbolic hypergeometric function

I was trying to simplify a calculation, and the symbolic processor returned a response with this function. The symbollic answer lists four arguments then will not evaluate or even recognize the function. (See attached.)

Other references have four arguments, the MatLab web page says MuPad lists 3.

Anyone have a numerical evaluation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oh ... forgot to add a check ...

I've just tried the integral in MuPad (Matlab 2014b variant) and it can't find the integral.

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

It should have three arguments, so that's a bug. Given that, I don't know what to make of the symbolic result, or how to convert it to anything useful. I tried this using the old Maple engine, but that does not give any solution.

That's what I was afraid of; this problem is nothin' but trouble.

I'm not sure it's a bug, so much as a Very Undocumented Feature. It looked to me as if it might represent one of the hypergeometric function special cases (eg 2F1. Looking at the Quicksheet shows that the builtin fhyper(a, b, c, x) function is the same as hypergeom(n,d,x) for n = (a b) and d = (c). Indeed 2F1 is the same thing as fhyper and 2F1(a, b; c; x) is a fairly common notation.

If you look at the Mathworks Mupad help for hypergeometric, you can see this notation in one of the examples.

hypergeom([-3, a], [b], z) =

Simplify(hypergeom([-3, a], [b], z))

Typing fhyper(ex+1, 1-a, ex+2, 1-t) gives the answer 0.92. Putting values for b and c of 0. and 0.5, respectively, gives a value for the integral of 0.39.

I also plugged the expression into Wolfram Alpha and it returned the following integral (note that I changed ex to z as ex somewhat confused the interpreter):

Putting this into Mathcad gives 0.253 ...

Stuart

Oh ... forgot to add a check ...

I've just tried the integral in MuPad (Matlab 2014b variant) and it can't find the integral.

Stuart

Thanks much.

Top Tags