cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Question for Mona

spaco
3-Visitor

Question for Mona

Dear Mona,
I kindly ask you to tell me if in v14 M040 can be made a little change, in order to increase the wheel mouse scrolling speed by 4-5 times.
For this, I will start paying my maintenance for my licenses (which ended on March this year).
Thank you

PS: I know about the Ctrl + wheel mouse workaround and I don't like it.
14 REPLIES 14

On 10/3/2009 5:11:35 AM, spa wrote:
>Dear Mona,
>I kindly ask you to tell me if
>in v14 M040 can be made a
>little change, in order to
>increase the wheel mouse
>scrolling speed by 4-5 times.
>For this, I will start paying
>my maintenance for my licenses
>(which ended on March this
>year).
>Thank you
>
>PS: I know about the Ctrl +
>wheel mouse workaround and I
>don't like it.

Maybe collabs DO NOT understand the problem you may have with your mouse and if the problem is specific to Mathcad 14. I have no recollection this problem was reported before. If you mean: on the mouse-wheel-click your system is slow, it is not with Mathcad 11.2a XP_SP2 (family). On my system, the scrolling goes as fast as I can rotate the wheel. Exception is no related to the mouse-wheel-click ... exception depends upon if the work sheet is being scrolled down for the first time, because all calculations "in view" must be completed before the next move down from any origin (scroll bar or mouse-wheel-click).
Once the work sheet has been calculated for the first time, all virtual calculations reside at the kernel level and all export calculations reside a their variable names ... at this point, this is where I can mouse-wheel-click at the speed of the mechanism system the mouse allows.

For great efficiency, you can do like most "Mathcad power Users" do, especially on long work sheets. If they do like me,,, open the work sheet, scroll down in one shot using the scroll bar, wait until the last calculation at the very bottom of the work sheet is complete, then scroll up/down at will as fast as the electrons hit the screen !!!

You seem to have forgotten how Mathcad works. It calculates regions a you read the newspaper, that's what is called "in view". Therefore, as you scroll down for the first time and Mathcad reaches a long calculation that just appeared "in view", depending upon the type of calculation and if it can't leave this type of calculation, then scrolling is halted until this long calculation "in view" is completed ... then scrolling can resume.

jmG
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1368288)

On 10/4/2009 12:17:48 PM, jmG wrote:

>Maybe collabs DO NOT understand the
>problem you may have with your mouse

You might not, but some of us do. It doesn't personally bother me very much, but I know exactly what spa is talking about.

> and
>if the problem is specific to Mathcad
>14.

No. It's been around for at least 10 years.

>I have no recollection this problem
>was reported before.

Several times, over the last 10 years. For example:

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?113703,99e#113703

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?552,12e#552

Richard

Quotes: [Mathcad collab]

"I have no scrolling issues"
"This does come up regularly and can be very annoying on some machines".

Read me again and test if specific to an installation or Mathcad version.
I have lengthy and lavishly explained how Mathcad works. On some types of projects 10 pages long, scroll � page by � page in succession and things are there because it takes Mathcad less time to calculate than it takes Windows to refresh. Computation wise, Mathcad is serial and if it decides by its own structure to wait a solver has finished , it better be so otherwise no solver would work if not terminated faster then the Windows refresh. What I'm saying here is hat no matter the scrolling method, i.e: whether you or other collab refuse my explanations or use them wisely ... the scrolling does not override the Mathcad calculation structure. The "work sheet in view" explanation is described in the [Help ?], and I have re-exemplified this in many more and other threads than those one or the two threads you have linked.

No work sheet = no doctoring.

What is the point to play with the lines per "mouse-click-scroll" if the click on the scroll bar does the same ? and what is the point to leave a region under calculations when eventually there will be many possible error messages associated with the eventual failure of the solver (for instance). Hold the mouse left button and Windows has control of the scrolling, as the left mouse is released, Mathcad is in control of itself.
Exploiting the mutual Mathcad/Windows conviviality creates no problem,
those not taking first the control of the scrolling: sorry, you have no case.
Scrolling a Mathcad work sheet is not the same as scrolling an *.PDF, or a Mathematica sheet or ...else unrelated calculation structure especially when the calculations involved are only dependent upon Windows ... like in the *.PDF ...etc.

jmG

Hi,
The wheelmouse speed I am talking is not related to worksheet calculation.
To test it, please try the file attached: one math region at page 1 and one math region at page 6.
Try to scroll up to page 6 using only wheelmouse (no Ctrl+wheelmouse). The speed is very, very low.
You will notice that the scroll is 1 line for each wheel step (detent).
The worksheet attached has approximate 100 lines per page. This means that you will need 100 mousewheel steps (detents) to scroll one page.
In MS Word the scrolling is 3 lines at a time.
This is what I want. More speed at wheel scrolling.

In the same time I know about the serial calculations but you cannot make a program to scroll very slow because you can have a complex worksheet, which can take a long time to calculate than scrolling.
I can wait for the math region to be calculated once in a while but most of the time I want speedy scrolling.

>I can wait for the math region to be calculated once in a while but most of the time I want speedy scrolling.<<br> ____________________

Collab,

You did not read what I wrote !

For your scrolling demand, better use the scrolling bar and never release the mouse left button... then once in the region (page) you want, then release the mouse left button and you will have to wait all the pertaining front end calculations are done. If no previous calculations are needed then turn OFF the work sheet option "Calculate", then when at the item you want a result or a graph, F9 on that item and Mathcad will calculate only the regions pertaining to that plot/result or else.
For instance: if at page 10 that you have scrolled very fast even faster than your mouse wheel can, and if in that page the graph needs a piece that is is at page 1, the piece at page one will calculate but not other regions in pages 2, 3, ... 9. That's what the polylog work sheet does, posted within last two weeks. You just can't have only questions and very few visits. What is the point visiting for help is you don't read and don't experiment. No collab has confirmed that eventually the Mathcad 14/Windows conviviality had not been preserved in that version of Mathcad.

jmG

>>I can wait for the math region to be calculated once in a while but most of the time I want speedy scrolling. <<br> ______________________

If you want speedy scrolling then use speedy scrolling. The attached work sheet is "Auto-Cal" OFF. Drag the scroll bar down to botton (much faster than your "speedy scrolling", hold the finger on the [Esc], click-in the leftmost Best fit circle, F9 as soon as the plot is done press [Esc]. None of the polylog has been done and you can scroll mouse wheel back up. Continue the experiment, you have the best fit circle graph, now you want the "data" (it didn't display because calculations are OFF), finger on [Esc] again, click on "data", F9, press [Esc] ,

...and so on !

Detail of most importance: if you click on the 3D plot (the rightmost), this is the last item in the work sheet, it will plot on F9, but will restart the work sheet at the top and you will have to wait the all polylog black body is finished.

jmG

Thank you, but I only need that the scrolling with wheelmouse to be faster (4-5 times as it is now).

Instead using mouse, navigate in a worksheet by PageDown. You go down 3/4 of a page (150 lines) once.
This is 30 times faster than the 4-5 lines scroll I need, but for Mathcad is not. It still perform the calculations.

Mona, do you have, please, an answer?

On 10/6/2009 12:12:25 PM, spa wrote:
>Thank you, but I only need
>that the scrolling with
>wheelmouse to be faster (4-5
>times as it is now).
>

The mouse functions don't belong to Mathcad, the mouse responds to Windows, and Windows respecting Mathcad to terminate the "page in view" calculations to terminate. And you know how to override the calculations so that scrolling can go at any pace you wish. The real answer to your question is to drive the mouse wheel by an engine if your finger is no fast enough.
In some type of purely scalar works, i.e: only addressing the QuickPlot, you can scroll past the "page in view", but when it comes to solvers and especially when the work creates export, no way: the "page in view" MUST TERMINATE the calculations. If otherwise, it would be dramatic on supervisory systems and directly or indirectly unsafe to public.
You must realize that by design, Microsoft responds to public safety, and as an applications, Mathcad also responds to the basic intent of both mutual convivialities.

Have you practiced the polylog test ?

The way you speak, it's like you just need bits and pieces from long work sheets doing all sorts of things, then turn calculations OFF, copy/paste the part you want. Another option is to hyperlink the part(s) of the work sheet you want. A gorgeous facility largely abandoned.

jmG

On 10/6/2009 1:27:03 PM, jmG wrote:
>On 10/6/2009 12:12:25 PM, spa wrote:
>>Thank you, but I only need
>>that the scrolling with
>>wheelmouse to be faster (4-5
>>times as it is now).
>>
>.............................
>
>The mouse functions don't belong to
>Mathcad, the mouse responds to Windows,
>and Windows respecting Mathcad to
>terminate the "page in view"
>calculations to terminate. And you know
>how to override the calculations so that
>scrolling can go at any pace you wish.
>The real answer to your question is to
>drive the mouse wheel by an engine if
>your finger is no fast enough.
>In some type of purely scalar works,
>i.e: only addressing the QuickPlot, you
>can scroll past the "page in view", but
>when it comes to solvers and especially
>when the work creates export, no way:
>the "page in view" MUST TERMINATE the
>calculations. If otherwise, it would be
>dramatic on supervisory systems and
>directly or indirectly unsafe to public.
>You must realize that by design,
>Microsoft responds to public safety, and
>as an applications, Mathcad also
>responds to the basic intent of both
>mutual convivialities.
>
>Have you practiced the polylog test ?
>
>The way you speak, it's like you just
>need bits and pieces from long work
>sheets doing all sorts of things, then
>turn calculations OFF, copy/paste the
>part you want. Another option is to
>hyperlink the part(s) of the work sheet
>you want. A gorgeous facility largely
>abandoned.
>
>jmG

This is getting REALLY OLD. It's a MATHCAD problem, not Windows. Click one click on the scroll wheel, you get maybe 3 lines of motion in Mathcad. Do the same in Explorer, and you get about 1/3 screen of scroll, which means that you can scroll and entire display page with 3 clicks. Can't do that in Mathcad, so it's a MATHCAD PROBLEM.

TTFN,
Eden
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:IRstuff)

On 10/6/2009 3:43:23 PM, eden_mei wrote:

>This is getting REALLY OLD.

I admire your tenacity. I'll send you a new brick for Christmas, since you are obviously in danger of wearing your current one out.

Richard

I'm good. I was thinking that we should take turns, and that'll hopefully minimize wearout and burnout.

TTFN,
Eden

I know it's been logged, but the final decisions about what's being done for Mathcad 14 m040 has not been decided.

Mona

On 10/6/2009 3:43:23 PM, eden_mei wrote:
>On 10/6/2009 1:27:03 PM, jmG wrote:
>>On 10/6/2009 12:12:25 PM, spa wrote:
>This is getting REALLY OLD. It's a
>MATHCAD problem, not Windows. Click one
>click on the scroll wheel, you get maybe
>3 lines of motion in Mathcad. Do the
>same in Explorer, and you get about 1/3
>screen of scroll, which means that you
>can scroll and entire display page with
>3 clicks. Can't do that in Mathcad, so
>it's a MATHCAD PROBLEM.
>
>TTFN,
>Eden

"...which means that you
>can scroll and entire display page with
>3 clicks. Can't do that in Mathcad, so
>it's a MATHCAD PROBLEM." [Eden]

==> All that depends upon where you put the pointer of the mouse. If in the work sheet I get 1 Pica per wheel step, just perfect during construction. If the pointer is in the blank area of the scrolling bar (at left), just above the arrow, I get � page per click, perfect again while in navigation mode.
For what you call "Explorer" (whatever that is), I never get the very same portion of a page (annoying but not more than a moskito). It might have something to do with the web site construct. My Mathematica, Mathcad (all versions since my first 😎 for last 10 years have always responded the same to my mouse and through Windows 95, 97, 98SE, Millenium, and last XP. Scrolling in Paint is one pixel per scrolling bar drag.

The conclusion is that if some collab have problems and others don't, the ones who have problems are the ones who have the problems and that does not necessarily mean Mathcad is the problem if some don't have a Mathcad problem.

A Mathcad 14 problem ? Who said that specifically ? as you seem to getting "really old".

jmG

mpitkanen
3-Visitor
(To:spaco)

I'll put my mouse to this soup too ;>)

1) Teach your mouse to stay under the left hand
2) Press PageUp/PageDown with your right hand when you are in hurry.

Cheers Matti
Announcements

Top Tags