cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Remainder of a polynomial division

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Remainder of a polynomial division

I am just stuck at what looks like a simple basic problem, but have no idea how to do it with Mathcad.

How can I calculate the remainder of a polynomial division?

What I am looking for is something like

poldiv0.png

but I would also b ehappy with

poldiv.png

or with something like

poldiv2.png

I remember a library for polynomials from Tom Gutman back in the good old days. He was working numerically with the coeffs only, I think.

But shouldn't there be an easier way to achieve my goal?

5 REPLIES 5

Can't see an easy way to split the remainder out just using mathcad symblics, but hope these help

regards

Andy

Here's an alternative (but still cumbersome!) method.

Alan

Andy and Alan, thank you for your quick response.

I was just about to quickly(?) check students answers but I realize now, that there is no quick an easy way out of the box. It's a pity that the symbolic evaluation in Mathcad does not offer more sophisticated ways to trim the outcome the way needed.

So it seems to be time to upgrade my Mathcad toolbox.

My first quick and dirty (and manual) approach was along the line of the first part of Andys file and I already was thinking about a general routine going along the line of separating dnom and nom and usin coeffs, like Andy did. Thanks for providung that routine, its sure helpful.

Alans approach is really interesting and I wouldn't have thought of that kind of solution. I think it should not be too hard to generalize it for arbitrary polynomials by generating the two necessary polynomials for r and f of the right degree by small programs.

Again thanks to both of you for your time and effort.

WE

I do not know how to solve, but Wolfram Metematica, there is no problem.

see web page:http://calculator.tutorvista.com/remainder-theorem-calculator.html

Thanks. Sure there are other tools which do the job. Most math progs have built in functions for it. In Mathematica you have the (rather bulky) command "PolynomialRemainder" and in Maple you have the commands "quo" and "rem" which do the job. In Derive (which I was very happy to use) and in MAXIMA we have "REMAINDER", and even muPad (which is responsible for the symbolics in Mathcad and in Matlab) offers the appropriate command "divide". But the times when you could feed the underlying symbolic processor a command which Mathcad does not understand and still get back the disered response are gone.

Its hard to understand why Mathcad is so inexcusably low-key with that kind of utility functions and its annoying to pack every worksheet with self written (or forum stolen) routines which should have been integrated for a long time.

I really thought that getting the remainder would be a more simple task in Mathcad once I am pointed to the right keyword. After all, back then, it took me a very long time until I discoverd "denom" and "numer".

Top Tags