cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Runtime Error while calculating

Katharina
1-Newbie

Runtime Error while calculating

Hi,

I use Mathcad 2001 Student Edition (on Windows XP). Everything is working fine until I change l1:=0,1..2 to l1:=0,1..7 in the file attached.

When I do this I get the following error Message:

"Runtime Error

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Can anybody tell me, how I can increase the range without causing Mathcad to crush?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Katharina)

Katharina Hunger wrote:

Hi,

I use Mathcad 2001 Student Edition (on Windows XP). Everything is working fine until I change l1:=0,1..2 to l1:=0,1..7 in the file attached.

"Runtime Error

Can anybody tell me, how I can increase the range without causing Mathcad to crush?

Katharina,

I think the root cause of the problem may be that you haven't assigned a range variable to some of the 'k' variables in your equation. This results in each element, apart from those on the first row, being assigned a vector value of length dictated by l1.

See attached worksheet - I don't get a runtime error with the addition of the range variables.

I note that the range variables cause the equation to effectively iterate down each column. However, only the first column has a value and the corresponding 'k' vector values for the first column are all zero. This means that the equation replicates the initial values down the first column and leaves zeros in all the other elements. What did you intend the equation to do?

Stuart

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Truly strange:

I opened your file, it computed. I changed the range variable and it computed successfully. I then changed the range vaiable back to 2 and it failed (with your error message.) I opened it again and got the same result.

Running MathCad 11.2.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Katharina Hunger wrote:

Hi,

"Runtime Error

Katharina,

I think the root cause of the problem may be that you haven't assigned a range variable to some of the 'k' variables in your equation. This results in each element, apart from those on the first row, being assigned a vector value of length dictated by l1.

See attached worksheet - I don't get a runtime error with the addition of the range variables.

I note that the range variables cause the equation to effectively iterate down each column. However, only the first column has a value and the corresponding 'k' vector values for the first column are all zero. This means that the equation replicates the initial values down the first column and leaves zeros in all the other elements. What did you intend the equation to do?

Stuart

Unfortunately I am not able to open your worksheet, ("This version of Mathcad can`t read this worksheet"), therefore I can`t see what you did.

I intended to iterate the k-values and solve the equations for each set of k`s. Later I want to read out i.e. S2 for each set of k`s and perform further calculations with that. I noted that only the first column has a value, too - that was the point I stopped working on this yesterday evening, hoping I will sort everything out today...

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Katharina Hunger wrote:

Unfortunately I am not able to open your worksheet, ("This version of Mathcad can`t read this worksheet"), therefore I can`t see what you did.

I intended to iterate the k-values and solve the equations for each set of k`s. Later I want to read out i.e. S2 for each set of k`s and perform further calculations with that. I noted that only the first column has a value, too - that was the point I stopped working on this yesterday evening, hoping I will sort everything out today...

Es tut mir leid, Katherina, I should have noticed you said M2001. I've attached a M2000 version below - I hope it works.

Stuart

Stuart, you made my day!

Everything is running now. I even managed to get rid of all the zeros.

And I learned some new little "programming tricks" (I hope you understand what I mean )

Thank you very much!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Katharina Hunger wrote:

Stuart, you made my day!

Everything is running now. I even managed to get rid of all the zeros.

And I learned some new little "programming tricks" (I hope you understand what I mean )

Thank you very much!

No problem, Katharina.

If you have different sets of conditions to analyse, it might be worth recasting your equation as a function to make it easier to loop through such sets.

Stuart

Top Tags