cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Solve Block

vip
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Solve Block

I try using Solve Block to find the solution of an equation by fixing "FS" to a constant value using the variables "alpha" and "w".  But it doesn't seem like working even it shows no error message.  Also, the unit for "alpha" supposed to be in "degrees".  

The file is attached.  The first part of the worksheet calculate FS using the correct "alpha" and "w" values.  The solve block on 2nd page used the trial values of "alpha" and "w" to solve the equation.   Please advise.

Thanks,

Vincent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@rkaiser 

You forgot that you have to turn EVERY quantity which is dependent on alpha and/or w into a function of alpha and/or w. For example b, l and A.

Look at Freds sheet for a correct solution (you will have to let Prime recalculate the sheet after opening it).

For the solve block in question its not specifically necessary to make h, c and phi function arguments, but it might be a good idea to do (as Fred has done) to turn every calculation into a function of every input variable for more flexibility. I am not sure why @Fred_Kohlhepp  did not made gamma and q function arguments as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rkaiser
4-Participant
(To:vip)

Hi Vincent,

the solve block cannot work since you have two unknowns but only one equation. Also, you have to define the F_b and F_d as a function.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Regards

Rene

@rkaiser 

You forgot that you have to turn EVERY quantity which is dependent on alpha and/or w into a function of alpha and/or w. For example b, l and A.

Look at Freds sheet for a correct solution (you will have to let Prime recalculate the sheet after opening it).

For the solve block in question its not specifically necessary to make h, c and phi function arguments, but it might be a good idea to do (as Fred has done) to turn every calculation into a function of every input variable for more flexibility. I am not sure why @Fred_Kohlhepp  did not made gamma and q function arguments as well.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:vip)

I can't run this, since I only have Express.

Attached is your sheet converted into functions.  In full Prime it may work or may need additional help.

Top Tags