cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Solving Algebra and Showing Steps

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Solving Algebra and Showing Steps

I've been using Mathcad on and off for a year now and there is one thing I have been really interested to know. Is it possible to give Mathcad for example an algeba or other problem and have it solve the problem, and show you how the problem is solved?

For example, I have been looking at the following in one of my text books:

ln(A)=ln(P)+rn

The text book states that in simplified terms is: A=eP^rn

It took me a while to work out that this is achieved by:

ln(A)=ln(P)+rn

In(A)-In(P)=rn

ln(A/P)=rn

A/P=e^rn

A=Pe^rn

However I am first interested to know if Mathcad could have simplified this for me and more interested If Mathcad would show the steps to get to the simplified version?

Cheers,

Andy.

6 REPLIES 6

Mathcad can symbolically solve it for you:

Maybe somebody more capable than I can get it to break it down, but I can't get past the first step:

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:awibroe)

Mathcad will solve equations numerically or symbolically, you don't get to see the steps it takes. Especially the symbolic solver is hard to control w.r.t. output.

When solving for rn:

you must also realise that Mathcad's symbolics will generally take all kinds possible considerations into account. So it will not simplify

to

probably because P could be 0...

In short: Mathcad will not teach you how to solve mathematical problems, but it can surely be a great help in checking your steps when solving.

Success,

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:LucMeekes)

you must also realise that Mathcad's symbolics will generally take all kinds possible considerations into account. So it will not simplify

to

probably because P could be 0...

It is a question of both domain, and what is considered "simpler":

LucMeekes написал(а):

Mathcad will solve equations numerically or symbolically, ...

Luc

Numerically

Welcome to Animation of Math methods in Mathcad

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

No, it does not show the steps. A computer algebra system does not do algebra the way you would do it on paper, so it would not be that useful anyway.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

In case you're not aware, Wolfram Alpha is a good tool for this:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+ln(A)%3Dln(P)%2Br+for+A

However, you have to pay for a Pro membership get the step-by-step solution.

Top Tags