cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Solving an equation system

ptc-4805829
1-Newbie

Solving an equation system

I am stuck with 2 different problems.I am using Mathcad 15.

The first one is:

solve the equationsystem

4x-y=12

y+2x=x+1

I need to solve this on Mathcad but I cant seem to figure out how to "combine" the two if you get what I mean.

For the other one. Lets say I have an equation 2x+4=x+y. How do I get Mathcad to solve out y for me?

Thank you very much.

2 REPLIES 2

Hi

Problem [1]

You can solve this with solve blocks (either symbolic or numeric examples attached)

Problem [2]

You write the equation and invoke the symbolic solve command from the symbolic tool bar to solve for y.

Hope this helpssolve.png

Solution is similar for both questions, but lets consider the 2nd part first:

Enter the equation 2x+4=x+y using the boolean equals ("<ctrl>" "=") - should show in bold typeface.

Add the symbolic evaluation symbol , either from the symbolic toolbar or with "<ctrl>""<shift>" "."( dot)

for the operator placeholder add "solve,y".

the result can be assigned to a new variable.

Capture.PNG

Note that because I have asked mathcad to assign the result to A it is warning that x is undefined.

This means that it does not have a numerical solution only the symbolic one as shown.

However, if you add a definition for x after the assignment to A and repeat the symbolic evaluation it can give a numeric answer that can be saved & used later.

The first problem is then an extension of this,

create a 2 row X 1 col matrix & enter the equations in the 2 elements of the matrix.

replace the equation ( "2x+4=x+y" above) with the new matrix,

replace the solve,y with a 1 row X 2 col matrix "solve,( x y )"

And it should solve the system.

If you want to use these values later in the work sheet, select all of the text in this region using the <space> key

"<insert>" will swap between the start & end of the region, insert ( a b) := at the beginning to preserve the calculated result.

Regards

Andy

Top Tags