cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Symbolic evaluation prime not working

Callum1995
6-Contributor

Symbolic evaluation prime not working

Hello all, 

Relatively new here and no experience using mathcad prime however I was looking for some guidance. I am working through a tutorial and trying to solve the following problem for lambda. 

CC_10223533_0-1646840019871.png

I am not sure where I am going wrong with using the solve (lambda) symbolic. From the looks of it possibly something to do with the pressures?

In the tutorial the solve symbolic yields the following: 

CC_10223533_1-1646840110739.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Callum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Callum1995)

Welcome to this community.

It's a good habit to attach your Prime worksheet along with your question. Most problems are easier understood and solved from using the worksheet, rather than looking at a mere picture (even if it paints a thousand words).

Now to your question.

That is a third-order equation you are trying to solve. This means that there are three possible answers to the equation:

LucMeekes_0-1646847702053.png

You did not state that you wanted a real answer (until you removed the units), so Prime tried to provide you all possibilities. But it introduces its own new variable _c and I bet it stole psi from one of your units, that is confusing.

You should realise that the symbolic processor in Prime normally doesn't 'know' units, at best it treats them like undefined variables.

There is a setting in Prime (under 'Calculation' => 'Calculation Options' ) where you can instruct it to observe units in symbolics. I guess that was used in the example you refer to.

My advice in general is that, if you want to work symbolically, then first do the symbolics and then fill in the numbers.

This is the first symbolic answer for your equation:

LucMeekes_3-1646848685321.png

(The other two are much bigger expressions and contain complex numbers.)

This is the exact answer, and it's real (not complex). You see I've made lambda a function of the three arguments G, Pseal and so. You can call this function lambda with the (numerical) values of these three symbols to get a numeric answer.

LucMeekes_0-1646850117176.png

But in case you just want a numeric answer, you can often better use the root function. In your case that might look like:

LucMeekes_1-1646850305171.png

Success!

Luc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Callum1995
6-Contributor

Just as an update if I remove all units then it does work so why would the units interfere with the result?

CC_10223533_0-1646840930352.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Welcome to this community.

It's a good habit to attach your Prime worksheet along with your question. Most problems are easier understood and solved from using the worksheet, rather than looking at a mere picture (even if it paints a thousand words).

Now to your question.

That is a third-order equation you are trying to solve. This means that there are three possible answers to the equation:

LucMeekes_0-1646847702053.png

You did not state that you wanted a real answer (until you removed the units), so Prime tried to provide you all possibilities. But it introduces its own new variable _c and I bet it stole psi from one of your units, that is confusing.

You should realise that the symbolic processor in Prime normally doesn't 'know' units, at best it treats them like undefined variables.

There is a setting in Prime (under 'Calculation' => 'Calculation Options' ) where you can instruct it to observe units in symbolics. I guess that was used in the example you refer to.

My advice in general is that, if you want to work symbolically, then first do the symbolics and then fill in the numbers.

This is the first symbolic answer for your equation:

LucMeekes_3-1646848685321.png

(The other two are much bigger expressions and contain complex numbers.)

This is the exact answer, and it's real (not complex). You see I've made lambda a function of the three arguments G, Pseal and so. You can call this function lambda with the (numerical) values of these three symbols to get a numeric answer.

LucMeekes_0-1646850117176.png

But in case you just want a numeric answer, you can often better use the root function. In your case that might look like:

LucMeekes_1-1646850305171.png

Success!

Luc

Callum1995
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Good Evening, 

Thanks for the useful information and insight on this one. I am still getting to grips with the various solve functions but that does indeed appear to have fixed the problem. 

Best Regards,

Callum

Top Tags