cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Units problem - - Hangs my system MCD14 M020 & XP SP2

NelsonWallace
1-Newbie

Units problem - - Hangs my system MCD14 M020 & XP SP2

In the attached file, in the first graph, the horizontal axis is wavelength in microns, but the graph is showing the wavelength in meters. When I try to fix this by dividing λ a by μ m, it hangs my machine when I hit F9 to recalculate. What am I doing wrong? And even if I am, how about the hang-up?

What I also need is a really good discussion of units in functions. And a pony.

Windows XP w/ SP 2

Mathcad 14 M020

3 REPLIES 3

You haven't defined lambda.a (miserable forum that doesn't let me write that properly). Quickplots only work with the x variable as a simple variable (where the plot range and the variable range are the same, as there is only on specification for both). Use a range variable to define the independent variable.

BTW, it is not hanging your machine. It is just trying to plot a huge number of points, which takes a while.

I have the same problem.

I have included a revision to your file.

I show a work-around, which gives the scale you are looking for

I also changed the units to inches just to show that the graph and dividing the variable by the desired units works as it should.

The problem appears to be when using micro units. Perhaps Mathcad determines the size of the divisions based on the unit, and
the result for micrometers is a very large number of very small divisions.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can add some clarification?

Wayne

Wayne & Tom -

Thanks -- problem solved.

I've discovered that the program help on units is quite good.

Nelson

Top Tags