cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Units won't simplify

ptc-2756565
1-Newbie

Units won't simplify

A couple questions:

1. Why does the "Answer" not simplify the units?

2. Why can't I ever get the red "f" to go away?

For what it's worth, I did search the forum, for the first question, and I figured I'd throw out the second question since I was posting anyway.

Using v15

Edit: sorry the file keeps coming up as a zip...

4 REPLIES 4
MC盗版用户
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-2756565)

1. no idea

2,need estimate an original value before GIVENoo.png

i think, no units in equation set is better

1. Why does the "Answer" not simplify the units?

Because you are evaluating symbolically and the symbol processor in Mathcad knows nothing about units. Units are treated as unknown variables and the symbol processor does not know that Ampere times Ohm is Volt. Normally you could follow the symbolic eval immedeatly by a numeric eval (=), but in your case this is not possible, because the solution vector consists of values with units of different dimensions. Mathcad 15 and below unfortunately does not allow for this. So we have to assign the values to single variables to be able to use them in further calculations (see below).

2. Why can't I ever get the red "f" to go away?

This error is thrown by the numeric processor in Mathcad because it would need guess values for the searched for variables. But as you have seen, the function can be evaluated symbolically nonetheless. You can get rid of that error by either providing guess values (as shown by Pirates above) or by evaluating the Find() command symbolically as shown here.

example_2.png

BTW, I guess you know that you can get rid of R.2 as it is never used and that you could simplfy your system to just two unknown as I.1 is known to be equal to I.S.

Thank you both for your comments, Werner, I was able to make my system as you show, and it works perfectly how I had envisioned

And, yes, I could have made the system simpler by reducing the first unknown; I was just making something quick to show an example of my problem - my system has 8 equations and 8 unknowns

my system has 8 equations and 8 unknowns

So are lucky that symbolical eval worked. Not every system can be solved symbolically/exact.

Top Tags