cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Unusual corruption issue M14

DB07
1-Newbie

Unusual corruption issue M14

Hello,

I am using M14, M020. Yesterday I run into a strange problem.

I opened a file which had previously been fine, and received an error: "Warning: an unrecoverable read error has occurred. 3 regions could not be read from this document.” I clicked ok, and it popped up again and again with different number of regions until finally it opened.

I asked a coworker to try opening the file. They did with no problem (same version of mathcad). They saved a copy of the file and I tried opening that, same errors.

I tried opening some other files which I knew were fine and got the same error on a few sheets. I then closed everything and restarted my computer. I tried opening those files again and it worked with no errors. Everything is fine right? No, this is where it gets interesting.

I tried opening another file which had previously opened with no problems when I was testing a number of sheets. Now, this one file (and only this file from what I can tell) gives me the same errors. I sent the file to some coworkers and now they couldn't open this file either. When the file finally opens, all plots, images and components are gone (unreadable?).

So when I restarted my computer that lead me to believe that it was just a temporary issue with my computer as the files could be opened by others with no problem. Now I have one file which others can't open which leads me to believe that this is a corrupt file.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? I would prefer not to post this specific file if possible.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:DB07)

How do you exchange files with your coworkers - a shared network drive or some physical medium?

I ask because not long ago there was a similar problem posted here and as far as I remember the problem was that the way the user accessed the shared drive led to corrupt files when images were embedded. The question is still pending and ther is no final confirmation of the poster if he was able to resolve the issue and how http://communities.ptc.com/message/243815#243815

But it may be a differnt issue as you wrote that the very same files (and I assume they are loaded from the same place) which failed once, worked OK after a restart of your computer.

As the issue seems to have to do with your installation (or the way you access the files), sending a file which is not working for you would not be of much help as all we could do is to confrm wheter its opening OK in our installations or if its corrupt.

DB07
1-Newbie
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks Werner,

You raise an interesting point, one that I had briefly thought of but didn't really explore. I've been saving some files to the network and others to my computer's hard drive. When the errors first started, I was accessing files from the network. When I was troubleshooting I believe I mostly checked files that were located on the network so I can't rule out that possibility. But I'm pretty sure I did open this particular file and didn't get an error at that time. I can't recall excatly.

The file I am currently getting the error on was located on my computer's hard drive. I just tried sending the file to my colleague by both email and usb drive but it didn't make a difference.

If it happens again I will pay more attention to where the files are stored. For the time being I just recreated the images and plots from another file so I can continue working.

scollette
1-Newbie
(To:DB07)

D B,

Am I to believe that your file opened and closed fine on one day and then the next day when you opened it that everything was gone in the file? I just had an issue today that sounds shockingly similar. I have been working in my document for 3 weeks now. I opened my document this morning and only 5 of my sheets that were there remain. It was a 27-28 sheet document yesterday. Another interesting fact is that when I opened the document the settings had been changed to turn the "Auto-Calculate" feature off.

This is the second time that I have had this happen to me. Both times it happened it deleted the calculations back to the very same point. As with your issue, mine was saved in a file on my hard drive. Both times it happened I can recount that the file was in the same base folder as the other one.

It should also be noted that I never have received an error message. I just opened the files to find out that nearly everything was gone.

DB07
1-Newbie
(To:scollette)

That's not quite the same issue I'm having. The only things that were missing with my files were images/plots/excel and word components. The math regions were all there.

Top Tags