cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Very slow worksheet - any limitation of program size?

HusseinNaserald
1-Newbie

Very slow worksheet - any limitation of program size?

Hello,

I have a worksheet of about 1.3MB, of which a big part is a program (several pages of code). I have mathcad 15 running on Win7. I tried my laptop with Win7 and the the same happens: when making changes in worksheet (adding a line, editting text or function), I am facing very slow responsiveness. Sometimes I need to wait more than a minute for a single change of adding a letter! Nothing appears on the screen and suddenly a log of a couple of instrutions is done in a sec.

I closed all open programs but that did not help.

Is there any limitation on the size of the coded program?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hhussein

4 REPLIES 4

I haven't run into that kind of problem so far, but looking at your sheet I see what you mean.

I think its not the size or length of the worksheet itself but the the size of your program. Your program out(data,...) stretches over 21 pages and is handled as sort of a unit when edited. So the delays are no surprise.

I am sure you can split that routine in a couple of much smaller, manageable ones which are then called from a "main" program. An additional benefit would be much better readability of the calculation sheet.

May also help here is linking multiple Mathcad documents.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

I think its not the size or length of the worksheet itself but the the size of your program. Your program out(data,...) stretches over 21 pages and is handled as sort of a unit when edited. So the delays are no surprise.

I am sure you can split that routine in a couple of much smaller, manageable ones which are then called from a "main" program. An additional benefit would be much better readability of the calculation sheet.

As Werner said breaking it down would help readability and also help with checking. I personally would not like someone to pass me that sheet and ask me to check it.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Your program out(data,...) stretches over 21 pages and is handled as sort of a unit when edited.

One good rule - one function-program must be not bigger than one screen.

Or go to http://communities.ptc.com/groups/mathcad-paradoxes

Top Tags