cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

how to import data from large MS Office 2007 Excel sheets

foxbat
1-Newbie

how to import data from large MS Office 2007 Excel sheets

trying to import numerical data from Excel sheet created (or saved ) with MS Office 2007, to Mathcad 15 worksheet:

data: 36,000 by 100 matrix containing integers

imported from MS Office 2003 Excel file (*.xls - physical size 66,799 KB) - no problem

imported from 2007 Excel file (*.xlsx - physical size 20,272 KB) - termination on error after about 60 secs, no error message given

On saving this file, 2003 Excel warns that data may have been lost (none are), while 2007 Excel has no warning for a physically much smaller file but cannot be read from Mathcad 15 worksheet.

Somewhere I have read that the problem is familiar from Mathcad 14

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:foxbat)

it is mandatory for my purposes that the data be physically present & unchanged in an application that is re-run many times in many repeated sessions, but aren't we a bit getting into a discussion of whether the problem could be avoided rather thasn solved?

Sometimes problems cannot be directly solved the way we wish and therefore a workaround is derived.

The Excel sheet you posted basically crashed my computer when I tried to read it into Mathcad. I converted the data to a *.txt file and got an error message stating "Out of memory".

If I use the Submatrix I can read in the data though.

Example.jpg

Mike

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Can you post the Excel file you are trying to read into Mathcad?

Mike

I'll attach the shorter *.xlsx one (the one Mathcad can't read) - the other one's too big for this platform

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Wow, that is a large file.

Can you confirm how the data is generated and then saved in Excel format? Is it saved in that format from another piece of software?

Mike

nope, the data was generated in a separate Mathcad 15 routine & exported to an MS Office 2003 Excel file

what you see is that file opened with 2007 Excel and saved in 2007 Excel format (which is *.xlsx)

anything else I can help with?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

nope, the data was generated in a separate Mathcad 15 routine & exported to an MS Office 2003 Excel file

I am a little confused why you have exported the file out of Mathcad and want to read it back into Mathcad.

Can you not save as a *.txt file?

Mike

file serves as database in an application - takes upwards of 120 secs to generate & need to be re-generated every time the application is run - so I simply 'export' the file generating routine & 'import' its product - clear enough?

foxbat
1-Newbie

oops sorry - typo:

I do NOT want the file to be re-generated every time the application is run because

(1) generating it is very time-comsuming and

(2) for its purpose, the application reqwuires an identical database for so many runs

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Ok, I think I get it. The data is generated in Mathcad 15 and then you take that data and use it for further cals, work..etc.

Why not do the extra manipulation within the original Mathcad worksheet where is the data is generated?

With that amount of data your worksheets are going to be painfully slow.

Mike

again: it is mandatory for my purposes that the data be physically present & unchanged in an application that is re-run many times in many repeated sessions, but aren't we a bit getting into a discussion of whether the problem could be avoided rather thasn solved?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

it is mandatory for my purposes that the data be physically present & unchanged in an application that is re-run many times in many repeated sessions, but aren't we a bit getting into a discussion of whether the problem could be avoided rather thasn solved?

Sometimes problems cannot be directly solved the way we wish and therefore a workaround is derived.

The Excel sheet you posted basically crashed my computer when I tried to read it into Mathcad. I converted the data to a *.txt file and got an error message stating "Out of memory".

If I use the Submatrix I can read in the data though.

Example.jpg

Mike

indeed!

thanks, compliments, and have an excceptionally good day!

Klaus

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Not a problem, glad I could help. Even if it was by sheer luck.

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-1286-6355/woohoo.gif

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Also, It is a massive amount of data. What are you trying to do with it?

Mike

yes, I'm afraid I need that amount of data;

think of it as a raw data collection used - in this instance - to estimate parameters of specific pdf's

Top Tags