cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

mathcad 15 and mathcad prime 3.0

ptc-6770630
1-Newbie

mathcad 15 and mathcad prime 3.0

hi,

i would know the difference between mathcad 15 and mathcad prime 3.0.

which version should i get?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

yes i've checked other questions and i've just seen that i can get both, but my first question is: what is the difference between them?

thank you

angelo finamore wrote:

but my first question is: what is the difference between them?

see please polls with those difference

http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1134

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6770630)

my first question is: what is the difference between them

Vast. It's best described by a brief history.

Mathcad started (surprise!) at version 1, and advanced steadily up to version 11. When it went to version 12 a number of things were changed, and the version was generally considered to be worse than 11. From 12 to 15 it gradually improved again, and it is debatable whether version 11 or version 15 is the best version to date. Each has their advantages. Version 14 was the last Mathsoft version, and after PTC purchased Mathcad they released version 15, which is not much more than another service release of 14. That was the last PTC version in that sequence, because they then decided to rewrite Mathcad almost from the ground up, and launched Mathcad Prime. Prime 1.0 was so functionally limited it was laughable. Version 2.0 was better, and version 3.0 was better still, but Prime 3.0 is still very limited compared to Mathcad 15 (that is not to say that it has no advantages, but for most long term users the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages).

So:

Mathcad 15: By far the most powerful, by far the largest number of existing worksheets, but no long term future. Mathcad 15 worksheets can be converted to Prime 3.0 worksheets, but they usually require some editing to make them work. Unless they use Mathcad 15 features that Prime does not support of course, in which case it may be impossible to get them to work.

Prime 3.0: Very limited compared to Mathcad 15, but Prime will improve with new versions (at the current rate, it will be many years before it catches up to Mathcad 15 though). Prime worksheets cannot be converted to Mathcad 15 worksheets, so if you run into some limitation of Prime your only options may be to give up, use a pencil and paper, or retype everything into Mathcad 15.

angelo finamore wrote:

hi,

i would know the difference between mathcad 15 and mathcad prime 3.0.

which version should i get?

thanks

That depends on your needs.

Prime should have been the successor of Mathcad 15 but is a complete new development (at least concerning the user interface). PTC seems to have heavy underestimated the effort and ressources needed and came up with an absolutely unuseable version 1. And even now in version 3 Prime, while it has some (few) improvements over mathcad 15, is missing a whole lot of features, is extremely slow and in the opinion of many long term users rather unconfortable to use. So at the time most experienced users seem to rather stay with Mathcad 15 and either wait for Prime will live up to MC15 one day or are looking for alternatives.

If you are new to Mathcad you have to decide if you want to learn an older but more powerful and comfortable version which one day will be outdated and replaced by a future version of Prime or if you dare to start right away with Prime 3 and live with its many restrictions and drawbacks. It also depends on your needs. If you work and share worksheets with people using Mathcad, too, you should use the version they use. If you have to work with or modify older existing mathcad sheets it probably will be better to work in MC15 rather than trying to convert those legacy sheets into Prime format because this often results in a non working sheet or at best will "just" require a lot of efforts to manually change it to make it work.

If you search the forum here you will find a lot of articles about Prime with pros and cons - OK, mostly cons, I guess.

So its your decision what to do. I would suggest you install both and give 'em a try. If you have rather basic calculation needs you might be happy with Prime, otherwise you have "real" Mathcad at hand, too.

Top Tags