cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

mcd11 closes when opening some files

LouP
10-Marble

mcd11 closes when opening some files

My mcd11.2a home copy (on XP) will just close - as if I clicked the x in the upper right corner - when I click on, or drag into the open mathcad window - some newer files (recent, but also mcd11.2a) created at work. No error messages, no warnings, no indication of something wrong; just closing of the app. Older files resident on my home pc open and behave normally. A few months ago, I migrated my office work from an XP to a win7 machine. I was lucky enough to be able to install mathcad 11 on it with no problems and have had no usage problems on the win7 system. This recent behavior is the first time I've moved files from the win7 pc to the home xp pc. Are these events related? Right now, I'm just scratching my head in bewilderment.

Lou

3 REPLIES 3
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:LouP)

Can you post one fo the files here? I'll try to open it in my copy if MC11 (under XP).

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LouP)

Lou,

the behaviour you describe may be related to settings of the file.

Menu: Tools => Worksheet options => Calculation tab

I know that weird things can happen if you open a file with the "Backward compatibility" option set.

I've found it helps to first start Mathcad (which opens a new sheet with the standard template that does NOT have the Backward compatibility set), and from there open the trouble sheet.

Obviously this is a bug...

Hope this helps.

By the way, I'm very curious to know how you managed to install Mcd 11 on Windows7 and have it working, assuming you're not running it in a virtual machine.

Luc.

LouP
10-Marble
(To:LucMeekes)

SInce almost all of my work is within v11.2a, I never think to check the compatbility option. I did so yesterday after your note, and found that the Backward compatibility is not checked, so this would not seem to be the culprit.

I moved my v11.2a to my new win7 office PC about 6 months ago (from XP). The forums had tales from some users that seemed to have no issues installing v11 on Win7, and others that had encountered various problems and never made it. Once I had my new PC, and saw how unwieldy (to me) the virtual XP environment was, I decided to go for it and try a straight Win7 install. I must have squeezed my crossed fingers really hard during this process, because it installed and it's working just fine (present issue excepted). I don't recall (six months is a really long time for an old guy 🙂 whether I had some error messages at the time, which I ignored, or had to manually get some missing pieces. Regardless, it's been humming along without any noticeable problems.

Lou

Top Tags