cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

template

ptc-5277318
1-Newbie

template

In MathCad 15 I used to change the normal template with definitionas and formats so that MathCad opened with some basic needs. Does anyone know how to do that in Prime 2.0?

14 REPLIES 14

Only in Prime 3

At one point, I think Prime did support templates, but in 2.0 they seemed to have disappeared, but they are back in 3.0. The installation comes with 7 templates, but the free version of MP3 ddoesn't allow you to save templates, a so-called "premium" feature.

TTFN

edit: actually, you can't even use New with the express version, but the templates are in the C:\Program Files\PTC\Mathcad Prime 3.0\Default Templates\en folder

My first templates

templ.png

The Express Edition is restricted in many ways compared to the full fledged version. This is quite understandable and OK given that its free.

There are just two things I think that should be changed in P Express:

1) Regions containing premium features like symbolics or solve blocks should be evaluated. It may be OK if its prevented to edit those regions and of course creating new ones, but they should evaluate. That way Express really could be used a true Mathcad Reader (as we had one with version 7, I think). If a recalculation makes a worksheet containing premium feature fail as is the case now, the value of Express as a reader is zero. Even printing it to a pdf would make a better job.

2) Given that Express should also act as a teaser which should make appetite for more, in my opinion it would be better for PTC if programming would not be considered a premium feature. Hardly a fairly serious worksheet requires no programming.

I haven't tested it, but from what you wrote it looks like Express would just allow you to use the few predefined templates. This would seem OK to me as it would give you the opportunity to see what templates are for and look like.

After all its entirely up to PTC what they are willing to give away for free.

Now my team is creating sheets for Prime as a templates for Premium and as a simple functions for Express.

See please one example http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/TTHB/2/OIVT/IVTANTermo/Eng/index.htm

Mathcad 15, SMath (Russion Mathcad) and Excel too!

The files won't be accessible as they link to a local hard drive, but I see what you mean. Its a shame that its necessary to create those sheetd for so many different Mathcad versions.

I know SMath and like it!

Werner Exinger wrote:

The files won't be accessible as they link to a local hard drive

Opppps. I will correct it tomorrow..

Werner Exinger wrote:

The files won't be accessible as they link to a local hard drive

All is OK on the Russian version of the site http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/TTHB/2/OIVT/IVTANTermo/Rus/index.htm

Sorry - not all - thermo not termo

Yes, verified.

I've got the same gripes, but mostly about the Solver. I think that they ought to at least unlock the basic Given-Find/Minerr just to show how useful Mathcad can be for something beyond just doing straight math. Otherwise, Prime is nothing more than a $1500 glorified calculator, with only marginally better features than, say, TI nSpire, which can do multi-page documents and fairly nice graphs, and which has a PC-based clone that can transfer files into/out of the calculator.

The locking of templates just seems very petty to me.

The other gripe is the lack of backward compatibility. Not being able to downsave to earlier versions of even Prime, or even to at least be able to read the compatible parts of a Prime 3 file in Prime 2 would, I think, would be a significant enticement for people to use Mathcad.

TTFN

The locking of templates just seems very petty to me.

Agreed, but as its not that a vital feature I won't be concerened.

To me Prime Express should fulfill two purposes - act as a teaser to get people to buy the full version and act a worksheet reader for people not in posess of the full version. Currently Express satifies both need not particularly well.

The lack of backward compatibility is not understandable at all and an absolute no-go. Prime should be able to read older (MC15 and below) formats transparently via file open dialog and of course should be able to write in Prime 2 and even MC 15-- format the same way.

Werner Exinger wrote:

The Express Edition is restricted in many ways compared to the full fledged version. This is quite understandable and OK given that its free.

Mathcad Espresso?

sSee please http://communities.ptc.com/message/190651

Milking the cow to the max? No thanks! 🙂

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mathcad Espresso?

sSee please http://communities.ptc.com/message/190651

Maybe a Smathbucks model would work as well; $1.99 to use Given-Find per worksheet.

TTFN

Top Tags