cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

user interface

ptc-1209116
1-Newbie

user interface

Does anyone else find the grey on light grey type hard on the eyes? Will we have templates so we can change backgound colors?

Is it true we can only have one sheet open at a time, or is that just a beta thing?

Will we be able to use more than one column of worksheets?

Will we be able to open MCD format sheets for backward compatability? Or XLS?

And the ribbon...why?
8 REPLIES 8
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1209116)

On 8/24/2009 5:44:02 PM, arfnotz wrote:
>Will we have templates
>so we can change backgound
>colors?

According to the "Known Issues", no.

>Is it true we can only have
>one sheet open at a time, or
>is that just a beta thing?

You have to open more than one instance of Prime. I've been told that for the release it will be fixed so that this is automatic.

>Will we be able to use more
>than one column of worksheets?

No.

>Will we be able to open MCD
>format sheets for backward
>compatability? Or XLS?

No. But when you try to import a .xmcd file the result is total garbage, so not being able to open .mcd files will be no loss.

>And the ribbon...why?

It will stop you from falling asleep while working. Sort of like self-flagellation.

Richard

I've noted many times that the grid lines are too faint on "default" zoom. They are such a light blue on pure white that they are very difficult to see. Many developers switch their monitors so that the background is black and forground/text are bright white or other bright colours (i.e. like old DOS days). That's far easier on the eyes than stairing at bright white all day. If I were given a vote, I'd vote for customisable colours and fonts. Most environments allow you to choose a theme or create your own interface colours that suit you.

Also - RE Ribbon, after playing around with Prime I can see why they have moved in that direction. The ribbon can be context sensitive - click on a plot and the various ribbon items can update and highlight appropriately. This isn't actually working properly yet, but this is the direction they are moving in.

That said - I still dislike the ribbon interface.

Philip

My first email was titled hard on the eyes for reasons of color scheme and messed up font size. Mona sent me this response which helped get rid of a lot of eye strain associated with the light colored, blinking cursor. This made things better, but not great.

Also in regards to your other note, press Ctrl Alt Shift Q, and you�ll see a panel where you can change the colors. This is internal right now, but I am trying to make it available to users.

Robert
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:radair)

On 8/24/2009 7:14:29 PM, radair wrote:

>Also in regards to your other
>note, press Ctrl Alt Shift Q,
>and you�ll see a panel where
>you can change the colors.
>This is internal right now,
>but I am trying to make it
>available to users.

Everyone needs to be aware that these settings are "sticky". If you close and reopen Prime they are not reset to the defaults. I have played around with the colors, but that's all. If you change anything else, write down the original settings first!

Richard

That warning would have been good yesterday... I accidently scrolled my mouse wheel while it was open and changed a value.

Any idea what the "NearestNeighborColour" value is by default?

Philip

On 8/25/2009 10:40:56 PM, pleitch wrote:

>Any idea what the
>"NearestNeighborColour" value
>is by default?

Nope. I changed all my colors before figuring that out!

Richard

On 8/25/2009 10:40:56 PM, pleitch wrote:
>
>Any idea what the
>"NearestNeighborColour" value
>is by default?
>
>Philip

"DarkGray" is what I have.

I just finally opened Windows 7 Wordpad and experienced deja vu:

TTFN,
Eden