cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Community Auto-login?

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Community Auto-login?

Some fairly short time after logging in, perusing the Community, deciding to work up a worksheet, I return to the board to find this (after a refresh):

2021 11 09 A.png 

Would it be possible to auto-login to the Community, as per the large majority of other boards that I use?

Stuart

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewK
Community Manager
(To:StuartBruff)

@StuartBruff we do have an auto-login feature based on cookies. I believe it lasts for an hour. It should trigger the auto-login if it has been less than an hour and you do something that requires you to be logged in. For example, if you are on a forum page with the session expired message you show above and click "Start a topic" it should log you in automatically.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:AndrewK)

@AndrewK wrote:

@StuartBruff we do have an auto-login feature based on cookies. I believe it lasts for an hour. It should trigger the auto-login if it has been less than an hour and you do something that requires you to be logged in. For example, if you are on a forum page with the session expired message you show above and click "Start a topic" it should log you in automatically.

What I more normally want to do is just refresh the main Community page to see if there's been any activity, or continue writing an answer after I've done some coding and/or research.  Often the gap between pressing refresh or hitting reply is longer than an hour as other things are likely to intervene.  

The re-login isn't a great hardship, but it is one of those minor nuisances that have me metaphorically cleaning the weapons and looking for fresh meat to rip into.  👿

Stuart

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

A way around the time out for the login - buys you a day or two - is to "start a topic" in one tab and leave that tab open. I usually login 1-2 times per week.

@Dale_Rosema wrote:

A way around the time out for the login - buys you a day or two - is to "start a topic" in one tab and leave that tab open. I usually login 1-2 times per week.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Stuart

An interesting find!

@Dale_Rosema wrote:

Sadly, the site seems to be making an exception for me.  I've tried it a couple of times now and I'm still seeing the login request.   😞

Stuart

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

It now only last for about 24 hours. I "start" a topic at 9:00 am one day. At 8:30 the next day, I am still fine, but 9:15 I am prompted for a  new login. After which, I delete my "started" topic and start another. Not as clean, but reduces the day to day logins.

Top Tags