cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Holy spamming the living cr@p out of the forum, Batman!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Holy spamming the living cr@p out of the forum, Batman!

Seriously, there's better places for these, especially since some of these techniques I was doing way back in 2000.....

That is all...

21 REPLIES 21
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Patriot_1776)

I agree, this is not the place to promote your youtube channel with copious postings.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenW
23-Emerald II

I disagree. I think it is a good service to the community. Many many new users can find a video that shows them how to do the simple stuff or long time users can see alternative methods to creating geometry. 

I think Vladimir's mistake was posting them all at once to the community. Makes it look as if its spamming.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

'Morning Steve!

I agree that posting "how to" videos are good, but I was objecting to the massive data dump.  I think the forum should have a specific area for stuff like this, then he can flood that all he wants.  I think these particular threads (Modeling, Sheet Metal, etc.) are more meant for people to post and find help for specific problems, not a place for video of generic solutions, especially over 2 full pages of them.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

There is a perfect spot https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Tips/bd-p/creotips

BUT, the community managers (@Jaime_Lee)  have delegated that as PTC content only. Users (to the best of my knowledge) are not allowed to post content.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:StephenW)

Hi, Everybody, 

I was in contact with @VladimirPalffy  over the weekend.  We will be reorganizing these posts shortly.

The information may be helpful to someone, but organized in a different way.  As always, thank you for bringing your posting concern to our attention. We want the forums to be enjoyable for all and tap into all the great expertise that our community members provide.

Jaime_Lee

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Jaime_Lee)

Sounds good Jaime, thanks, and hope y'all have been staying safe!  I just thought this was the wrong place for 2 pages of them, pushing everyone else that posted for help to the bottom...

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@Patriot_1776   Yes, we are healthy!  This post might find itself moving over to the PTCooler or Feedback board shortly.  Just so you are aware!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I think it would be good to have 2 separate forums, one for PTC "How-To" content, and one for Users "How-To" content.  I would actually post some video stuff, but I don't think I have video capability, and may not be allowed due to security reasons anyway.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@Patriot_1776  from a "Forum Permissions" standpoint, you can definitely post videos!  No worries this  "How To Content" is a hot topic with the community management team right now (actually has been for over a year).  I am not going to give up the name up but there is one community member (non PTC Employee) that was nominated by a cohort of active members to be added to a "Tips" board.  I am not opposed to adding more customer authors of great content!  🙂

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

'Morning Jaime!

Good to see traction on this.  Having a general "Tips&Tricks" forum for people to post GENERAL stuff is great.  I think specific forums like this should be left for people to post specific problems to get help.  Like here, I'll find the occasional issue that intrigues me, and I'll help that person, sometimes in private, sometimes in the open forum.  I'm weird like that sometimes.  But, helping Ray with his ducting work was a lot of fun, if frustrating at times, but I learned a new use for an old and favorite trick, and I'd been wanting to do some advanced self-training, so, it was a good distraction from my regular work.  I guess that's why I objected to the "data dump", because it pushed everyone else with REAL problems they need solutions to, to the bottom, out of sight.

Just curious, and I've never asked, are you a user yourself Jaime?  If so, how advanced?  🙂

Oh, and by "security" what I meant was my job.  If I'm at home, if I had the software and knew how to use it I could make a video.  I would be prohibited from doing that in the office because of what might be being said in the background.  I hate videos with no voice-over telling you what the reason is for doing things a certain way.  You don't really learn from looking at mouse picks.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

@Patriot_1776   Thank you for helping out your fellow community members get the most of their PTC products on or off the forum!  Of course, I prefer as much as possible ON the public forum so other community members can take advantage all the great mindshare 🙂  Even posting a "how to" after you figure out a solution would just be fantastic!  In the discussion boards, I would suggest always posting your topic title as a question.  "How Do I extrude xyz?"    No, as community manger over all PTC suite of products, I can hardly be an expert on Creo, but I love supporting our community members who are experts.  I also enjoy helping others make connections they need to become an expert 🙂   I sent you a PM.  Please respond.  TY!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Hmmm, I looked and didn't get it.

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Ok, it seems I have been messaging with your "old account," and I thought you were ignoring me these last two weeks.  That is a good hint for us all.  Don't assume someone is ignoring you, make sure you grabbed the "right" screen name 🙂

Also, I have a way of merging accounts now IF you don't post in the new one before I get a chance to merge it. 

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

THAT, would be awesome.  I've had to have several accounts over these many years and would LOVE to have all my posts under my current name.

Thanks!

Maybe your "rock" status might improve too.....    🙂

LOL  Maybe I'll even advance to being a "Rock" STAR!  🙂  The name I'm under now is only from 2015 on, there's probably 3 other profiles from my Moen days, my Woodward days, and my aerospace days.  Maybe more.

Or, maybe I'll be reduced to a lump of coal....🤣

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Friends,
The current situation is that I only can merge accounts if you have never posted in the new one. So, Frank, if you get a new email address/PTC eSupport account tomorrow I would instruct you to create a new community account without posting any new community content with it. Then, I would be able to apply all your previous content to this new community profile. We will keep the enhancement request for "merging multiple existing accounts" on the list though! I understand how frustrating it is to not have all your community content on one community profile.

And, no, your community management team doesn't give out coal to our community members.

However, coal might be something to consider this December for the PTCooler board!

@Dale_Rosema   remind me of this post!

Jaime_Lee

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Coal turns into a diamond, with enough pressure!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BenLoosli)

LOL

I agree ...

As a developer of Commercial and Open Source products - We do post some videos about functionality or training materials that we feel are useful / current.

BUT "dumping your purse" in a stream of 10+ posts is a bit annoying...

I understand the need to fill and find content within the community - maybe there should be a "silent post" option for educational content that does not flood everyone's feed every time a product or educational series of videos is posted.

Hi folks,

first >> sorry to all.

From my point of view, I would like to tell you that I do not want to spam .... I am helping Creo members and I share my Creo know-how + best practices with Creo.

Note: I spend my free time to help you, so please - if you like my post, give me a Thumbs up, if not ... ignore my posts.

Have a great day,
Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags