cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Labels in a new question

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Labels in a new question

When I post a question in the Help area of the community, I get label choices I can choose from. (see image)

labels-shown.jpg

When I post a question in the Creo Modeling questions area, I get no label choices  (see image)

no-labels-shown.jpg

So if labels are going to help me see the topics I am interested in with respect to the community, why are there no choices? Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good day everyone -

We are using lables to help categorize information - I have added a label to the the Modeling area, so you should be able to post there now.

Sorry for the bug and trouble.

If you have suggestions for other Creo lables, please message me.

Toby

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

And then I tried to post something in modeling, I couldn't even guess a Label to use so I couldnt' post.

After several attempts, it told me I had to wait a few minutes.

Now, instead of labels being helpful, they are preventing me from posting a question??

labels.jpg

wait.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

@Tmetcalf

Something is wrong, I can't figure out a label so I can't post on Creo Modeling Questions

nolo-posto.jpg

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

same here

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Labels are intended to be used the same way categories and sub-communities were back on Jive (to organize content.)  Some changes were made yesterday to make sure people couldn't accidently create their own labels and also to require they select one.  It would appear this is a problem in areas where no labels have yet been created.  I will alert Toby.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

More info:

The Creo blog area uses the same label as "other creo questions"...what if I want to blog about modeling?

The Creo Idea area uses the same label as "other creo questions"...what if I have an idea about modeling?

Good day everyone -

We are using lables to help categorize information - I have added a label to the the Modeling area, so you should be able to post there now.

Sorry for the bug and trouble.

If you have suggestions for other Creo lables, please message me.

Toby

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Tmetcalf)

With respect to labels, if you look at your notifications area of your profile, you'll see an indication that you can get notifications when posts are made to a label you subcribe too, insinuating that you can subscribe to a label. Has anyone figure that out?

label-subscribe.jpg

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Not yet...

Tmetcalf
Emeritus
(To:TomU)

Good day everyone,

Subcribing to labels has been somthing I have been working on since launch.  I have it enabled, but cannot click on the lable to subscribe.   I Just recieved word from Lithium they are testing a solution now.

Sorry for the frustration, I am working on this.

Toby

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Labels have suddenly just become active and I seem to be able to subscribe to them.

label-active.jpg

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Wow, @Tmetcalf did something!!!

labels.PNG

Tmetcalf
Emeritus

Hey - looks aren't everything.

Here is a link to the announcement

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Based on how these labels display, I think this is another good argument for splitting off by product before reaching the product specific labels.  To continue with the current structure is going to require way too many labels under too few (overly broad) categories.

Tmetcalf
Emeritus

I see the issue @Anonymous Drawings will become Drawing.

Best,

Toby

I hope this is helpful @StephenW!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

This could solve the "place to put stuff" issue...I'm obviously not entirely sure about that though since it's new.

There is still only the one label you just added in Creo modeling questions for newly posted items yet there are a bunch of labels already available based one Jive tagging maybe??

Should there be a label "Parametric" under Creo Ideas?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

@Anonymous Drawings is under the ADDITIONAL CREO QUESTIONS and not under creo modeling.

drawing-label.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Yes, when posting under creo modeling questions, there is only one label to choose, modeling.

label-to-choose.jpg

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The Windchill Questions area needs more labels.

Understood @BenLoosli - would you please send me suggestions / requirements?

Best,

Toby

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Because there is only one ideas section for each category, by definition it must include all the labels from all of the discussion boards associated with that category.  Of course this whole approach creates a pretty big problem when there are similar labels for different products but they are both getting stuffed underneath the same product area.  Putting the label "Drawing" on a product idea doesn't do any good if you can't also clearly determine what product it applies to.  Having to select multiple labels, both "Drawing" and "Parametric" is not a good solution because there is no way to require a user to select both the product label and the "area" label every time a new idea is created.  (Labels are not tags.  Labels are used for organization, should be required, and only one should be allowed per idea.)

The only solution I can see (with the current structure) is to have all product ideas labels include both the product and the "area".  For example:

• Creo Parametric - Drawings
  • Creo Direct - Drawings
  • Creo Parametric - Modeling
  • Creo Direct - Modeling
  • Creo Parametric - System Administration
  • etc.

Frankly, ideas for these different products should not be combined into the same ideas area at all.

As I think the above comments show, I am very concerned about just slapping more labels on things right now.  We need a major restructure, especially with the limitations of Lithium.  The band-aid approach is only going to make it tougher to restructure in the future.

Tmetcalf
Emeritus

@TomUminn wrote:

The only solution I can see (with the current structure) is to have all product ideas labels include both the product and the "area".  For example:

• Creo Parametric - Drawings
  • Creo Direct - Drawings
  • Creo Parametric - Modeling
  • Creo Direct - Modeling
  • Creo Parametric - System Administration
  • etc.

I agree with this @TomU and would have these labels in discussions, blogs, and ideas.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Current labels available for Windchill Questions are:

• Cad Integration
  • Customization
  • Windchill Quality Solutions
  • Other

Some of the ones I can think of that would be useful are:

• Windchill PDMLink
  • Windchill MPMLink
  • Windchill ProjectLink
  • Windchill PDM Essentials
  • Windchill Upgrades
  • Windchill Rehosting

If anyone has some more suggestions, please list them.

I am not sure what the limit is on available Labels, but I also don't think we want more than about 20, just the main areas to help filter questions.

Top Tags