cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

CAD Dimension Issues when printing

jpal
1-Newbie

CAD Dimension Issues when printing

While printing the part, the CAD dimensions change to mm, what is the problem with dimensions? The STL and actual CAD are attached below:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smorris
5-Regular Member
(To:jpal)

‌I'm assuming you are referring to 3D printing. If so, what application are you using to load the STL? What are it's default units set to? Creo does not change the units while creating STL, so the issue is either with the source CAD file or the 3D printing software.

I just checked the CAD file and it is currently set to INCH. The issue has to be on the 3D printing software side.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
smorris
5-Regular Member

‌I'm assuming you are referring to 3D printing. If so, what application are you using to load the STL? What are it's default units set to? Creo does not change the units while creating STL, so the issue is either with the source CAD file or the 3D printing software.

I just checked the CAD file and it is currently set to INCH. The issue has to be on the 3D printing software side.

jpal
1-Newbie

Still having problem. we loaded the STL in Free online STL viewer. And it says the file has units as mm.

In Parametric Creo, during saveAs (export) do we need to set any setting to inches somewhere?

We are using Creo 2.0 and Model Properties -Units is set to inches.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Free online STL viewer default units is mm. It is not reporting the units of the file. If you want to see values in INCHES, just change Size and Units setting in the viewer.

This page claims there are no units saved in an STL file.

STL Units | 3D Printer

dschenken
21-Topaz I

According to STL (file format) - Wikipedia there is nothing in the file to indicate scale or units or color. Just triangles and the name of the item.

I see that your stl attachment is of the binary type, so it isn't easy to see the structure.

The 3D printer driver software you are using should have the formats that its processing software can read listed and explained.

Top Tags