cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Suggestions for Advanced Robotalk Sessions in November?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Suggestions for Advanced Robotalk Sessions in November?

PTC will be hosting 3 advanced sessions of Robotalk in November covering the following topics. Before we put together the agenda, we'd like to reach out to the community to see if you have any suggestions of specific topics you'd like us to cover during these sessions. Please reply to this posting with any ideas or suggestions you might have to help us target these sessions to any specific needs you have.

11/6 Webinar: Advanced PTC Creo
11/13 Webinar: PTC Mathcad Prime
11/20 Webinar: PTC Windchill
10 REPLIES 10
ptc-4385028
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Looking forward to the Mathcad webinar!

The educator in me would like you to show how these middle school and high school students can use Mathcad to make the real world robot-math connection. The workbook style math they are taught in school doesn't always 'translate' to the real world application in their minds. I am talking really basic here: geometry, basic algebra, gear ratios, basic physics, forces, speed. It may seem that you are showing them 'the obvious', but 'the obvious' is what is usually escaping them. It's what prevents them from having that 'ah ha' moment we strive for.

Thank You!

I very much agree! Sometimes we need to go slow to go fast....

ptc-4240237
1-Newbie

We are really looking forward to the Windchill seminar. I would really like it to be focused on specific topics in WIndchill and go slower rather than trying to cover everything as in past years. Just like Creo that has a lot of capabilities, FIRST Robotics teams only use maybe 10-20% of what Creo can do. How do teams use Windchill? I don't know how other teams use it. I think the main attraction of Windchill is collaboration within the CAD team, sharing files, controlling versions without overwriting each other's work. Things like project management are secondary and there are other software that people prefer to use. I think teams should use the core capabilities well first before expanding into other capabilities.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

We really -need- an advanced look at the mechanism assembly constraints. This is the most archaic non-intuitive interface of what comes with core Creo. Part of the discussion can include how to avoid "disconnected" conditions and troubleshooting failed Mechanism analysis processes.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Excellent ideas! Keep 'em coming.

ptc-4240237
1-Newbie

For the Windchill seminar, this is what I would like to see by sticking to the basic that every FIRST team will benefit from Windchill that no other software can provide.

1) how to setup a project

2) how to setup members

3) tips on how to import the KOP models quickly

4) tips on how to organize files, folders or all parts in one directory

5) how to interface Creo to Windchill

6) how to access model on Windchill for editing

7) how do multiple members on CAD team colllaborate and build model together on different computers

I think if every FIRST teams have this basic knowledge, they will be more productive and start to wonder why they didn't use it earlier.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-4240237)

Awesome. You can already get started with some of the replays from last year. Check out the robotalk_2012 tag cloud for all the videos.

PS. I forgot to push record for last year's CAD Data Management session

ptc-4240237
1-Newbie

I went through all the videos from last year. Unfortunately the CAD Data Management session is missing. There is a lot of material in these videos. Last year you spent 3 sessions to cover these. How do you plan to get through all the basics and then to CAD Data Management in only one session this year?

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-4240237)

December?

ptc-4240237
1-Newbie

Scott,

First thank you for scheduling another Robotalk session specific to using Windchill in Creo. The document you posted today on how to import the KOP is extremely useful. We will read it and try things out before the Robotalk session. Here are some of the things we need help with.

1) What is the best practice in terms of whether to upload everything in KOP to Windchill or leave it on local computer and only upload the file that is needed? What is the pros and cons? Can you demonstrate how to upload a local model so we can see how easy or hard it is? This will help us decide which way to go.

2) In Creo Parametric in the Common Folders tab, can you explain what is the difference between Workspace and Windchill cabinets? When I click on Windchill cabinets, inside there somewhere is another Workspace. This is what gets me confused. Where are files stored and when do I have to upload them? How do others on the team find out I uploaded a file?

3) Do all CAD files have to be in the same folder? If part files get moved, will the connection in the assembly be "broken"?

4) If our team create all of CAD models in and share in Windchill, is it possible to still have a local copy at all times in case there is no internet connection or the server is down? Is that the Workspace? Where does the Workspace reside, local or in Germany? If not, how do we periodically download everything to our CAD computer so there is a backup. We work many long hours. We cannot afford not having access to our CAD models especially the first 4 weeks.

Please address these issues here or on the next RoboTalk. Thank you so much for helping us.

Ed

Top Tags