cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Exporting a Prime 3.1 worksheet to MS Word?

BrianChristiano
4-Participant

Exporting a Prime 3.1 worksheet to MS Word?

I am trying to export my worksheet information into a MS Word document.  I am using Win7 OS, Prime 3.1, and MS Word 2013.  I only see options to work with MS Excel.

I did a Snipping Tool but the background is gray/green in color, not the same as the page format of Word.  This won't work for my customers who expect a clean report.

In older versions of MCAD I could copy and paste but this version doesn't seem to allow the paste feature.

r/

7 REPLIES 7

Improvements are expected in Prime 4.0.

For now, you can print to PDF and then copy/paste from there.

BrianChristiano
4-Participant
(To:MJG)

Not a good solution.  I am going to start looking for another option to MathCAD and not renew my license support.  I have not been happy since they went from Mathcad 15.

You can always just keep using Mathcad 15.  That's what many of us have done.

BrianChristiano
4-Participant

And I would have to go back and "reinvent the wheel" using M 15.  I might as well hand type the whole report in MS Word from an EXCEL spreadsheet analysis.  It would be just as quick, since neither version talks up or down between M 15 or Prime.

BrianChristiano
4-Participant

I also have a customer who is waiting for a report to be issued.   This does not make me happy at all with the expense I have invested in the last several years in this product, only to get an answer to pdf it and wait for the next revision.

Developers, supposedly smarter than I, should have been able to anticipate this in the process before Rev 4.0.  It took 4 revisions to figure this out?

Brian Christiano wrote:

Developers, supposedly smarter than I, should have been able to anticipate this in the process before Rev 4.0.  It took 4 revisions to figure this out?

You (and many of us) were laboring under the impression that PTC intended to continue Mathcad as a stand-alone product, competing with the other solver packages.

It's pretty clear that that was never their intent, although they may be swaying a bit in that direction; they plan to bundle Mathcad as an in-application calculator for Creo, their 3D graphics modeling package.  With version 4 they have started to do that.

Those of us who have used Mathcad for years as a good mathematical tool that did not require a degree in computer science to use have been "wailing into the wind," and clinging to version 15.  If you jumped directly to Prime (2.0) when it first came out then there are two observations I'd like to make:

1. You haven't been following this forum very closely, or you would have noticed the many, many deficiencies of Prime noted in comparison to version 15, and
  2. You would have noticed that, poor as it is, Prime is improving.  Slowly, but it's improving.

I sympathize (please don't misunderstand this post.)  I have always struggled with doing a calculation in a live Mathcad document then having to be careful about how I translate that to Word for dissemination.  (Then, months later the design and calculation changes but the Word Document . . .)

I have yet to see how someone interfaces MatLab with Word so that things update.  (I'd love it if Mathcad could plot to *.jpg files like MatLab does!)  Heck, I'd like Prime (I'm up to 3.0) could put legends and titles on graphs.

I understand, brother.  When you find your solution, come back and lead us out of the wilderness!

The attached Word file has a snipit from Prime 3.0.  The as-pasted is grey-green, but (in Word) raising the brightness 30% got rid of the problem.

Top Tags