cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to find the eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalues

sfan
1-Newbie

How to find the eigenvector corresponding to each eigenvalues

Hi, everyone,

So I have come to the eigenvalues of matrix D, and now I want to find the eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 176.718.

Is there a way to find the it?

2.PNG

Using the eigenvecs cannot produce the right answer,

Capture.PNG

As seen in this figure, EV has four linear independent eigenvectors, and the last column is the right one. But I presume this is only a coincidence,

as eigenvecs in this case used det(D-lambda*I)=0, to recalculate all new lambdas of the new defined D.

Is there a function like [lambda, Eigenvector]= eig(K,M) in Matlab, that returns to the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalues?

Thank you for your time

Best

Shawn

3 REPLIES 3
sfan
1-Newbie
(To:sfan)

Hi, guys

I used the syntax in Matlab, creating a similar process, and it can return to the eigenvectors wanted.

But are there easier processes?

Capture.PNG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:sfan)

sfan
1-Newbie
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi, Luc,

I read that post but I don't quite get the point.

Capture.JPG

Right now I just want to find the non-trivial solution to the last equation above,

I can find that using the solve block, but since solve block cannot be used in programming, I am afraid I have to find another way to solve a Matrix function with non trivial solution.

In Matlab, [eigenval, eigenvecs] = eig (K, M) would return to EV as eigenvecs, using the equation M*EV*lambda = K*EV, and it is easier for programming, say K & M varies.

So is there a way to solve non-trivial solution to a Matrix Function other than the solve block in Mathcad?

Thank you for your help!

Best

Shawn

Top Tags