cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How to recover a tif damaged mcdx file

JTrend
1-Newbie

How to recover a tif damaged mcdx file

I had an mcdx file which opened with no errors in Mathcad prime. However, after i added 2 tif images to the file, the file won't open

and mathcad prime (windows 7 64bits) gives me this error message "The file type is not supported".

I opened the file in a text editor and renamed all the occurences of "tif" to "png", but this did not fix the problem.

The image files are kept in what appears to be a virtual folder and thus i was not able to change the image files externally to match the png entries in the mcdx file.

How can i recover or fix this file ?

13 REPLIES 13
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:JTrend)

Hello!

You need to contact technical support PTC. Create a new "Case" for your problem here: http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/case/case_logger.jsp

P.S. Could you attach a file ".mcdx" with an error?

I currently don't have an active maintenance agreement with PTC, so I am not able to contact

technical support PTC, yet.

I can add that the tif file is a photoshop lzw compressed(5X) alias multilayer v1.1 Tiff.

here is the exif of the file:

---- System ----
File Size : 22 kB
File Permissions : rw-rw-rw-
---- File ----
File Type : TIFF
MIME Type : image/tiff
Exif Byte Order : Little-endian (Intel, II)
---- IFD0 ----
Subfile Type : Full-resolution Image
Image Width : 336
Image Height : 75
Bits Per Sample : 8 8 8 8
Compression : LZW
Photometric Interpretation : RGB
Strip Offsets : (Binary data 43 bytes, use -b option to extract)
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Samples Per Pixel : 4
Rows Per Strip : 9
Strip Byte Counts : (Binary data 42 bytes, use -b option to extract)
X Resolution : 96.012
Y Resolution : 96.012
Planar Configuration : Chunky
X Position : 0
Y Position : 0
Resolution Unit : inches
Page Number : 0 0
Software : Alias MultiLayer TIFF V1.1
Host Computer : 001, 001, ffffffff, 001, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000
Predictor : Horizontal differencing
Extra Samples : Unassociated Alpha
Sample Format : Unsigned; Unsigned; Unsigned; Unsigned
Alias Layer Metadata : 001, 001, ffffffff, 001, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000
---- SubIFD ----
Subfile Type : Full-resolution Image
Image Width : 160
Image Height : 35
Bits Per Sample : 8 8 8
Compression : LZW
Photometric Interpretation : RGB
Strip Offsets : 16381 19642
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Samples Per Pixel : 3
Rows Per Strip : 25
Strip Byte Counts : 3261 1293
X Resolution : 96
Y Resolution : 96
Planar Configuration : Chunky
Page Name : Thumbnail
Resolution Unit : inches
Predictor : Horizontal differencing
Sample Format : Unsigned; Unsigned; Unsigned; Unsigned
---- Composite ----
Image Size : 336x75

Also, I have attached an example .mcdx file with the said tiff file which generates the same error.

If you need more info let me know....

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

John,

I have the same error appears in Mathcad Prime 1.0: "The file type is not supported". I have created new "Case" for technical support PTC with this error.

John and Vladimir,

That issue has been reported and is being fixed for Mathcad Prime 2.0. The issue is that Mathcad Prime 1.0 recognizes TIFF but not TIF. A developer suggests that you can open the file in WinZip, edit mathcad\footer.xml file and replace "tif" by "tiff", then let WinZip repackage the file.

Mona

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mzeftel)

Thanks, Mona!

I also received the following reply from tech support PTC: "... that Mathcad is expects the extension to have."tiff"".

Mona,

Thank you...

The fix you provided works. However, I have not been able to recover my file yet.

Previously, I used Notepad to edit the mcdx file and it altered the file (made all binary 0's into spaces).

I was able to convert all 0's back to spaces in the text areas but in the compressed areas there appears to be no way for one to tell whether a hex 20 is legit or not. So, I am currently stuck.

mzeftel
1-Newbie

John,

If you have the original version of your file, you can edit it in Notepad or any text editor, as long as you save it as UTF-8.

I hope this helps,

Mona

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mona,

It may be necessary to add the format "TIF" in the list of supported graphics file that can be inserted into the document Mathcad Prime?

Yes, we have fixed this issue for Mathcad Prime 2.0, when it releases.

Mona

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Thanks!

please i have the same problem....i use mathcad prime 1.0 ...and it;s says file tipe not suported....why? i don't know...i tried to open with winzip...but when i edid foot...doesen;t apear any "tif" to replace with tiff...sory for my english...can you help me? how do i attach here the file...maybe you can fix my work..i realy need it.thanks..please wrote back

Edi,

I can open your file in Mathcad Prime 2.0 so I suggest you upgrade to Mathcad Prime 2.0. Unfortunately, it is too time-consuming for a developer to fix the file in Mathcad Prime 1.0.

You can download the trial version of Mathcad Prime 2.0 from http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/. Mathcad Prime 2.0 does not create corrupted worksheets.

I've also attached a PDF of your worksheet, in case that's helpful.

I hope this helps,

Mona

thanks very much...it's very helpful...i will download mathcad prime 2.0....i'm a student sow it realy help this program..and 30 days it's okei..because i finish the school before the trial expires:) thanks againn!!!!!!!

Top Tags