cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MC 14 & 15 Coexist?

SM1
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

MC 14 & 15 Coexist?

I would like to try out MC 15. Before I install it on my computer I would like to konw if:

1. It is possible to have both MC 14 & 15 on the same computer
  2. MC 15 documens backward compatible.

SM

4 REPLIES 4
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:SM1)

It is possible to have both MC 14 & 15 on the same computer

Mathcad 14 cannot be on the same OS when M15 is in installed. Once 15 is installed you are free to re-install 14.

1. MC 15 documens backward compatible.

Yes, worksheets saved in M15 can be opened in M14. M15 can also save down to M11.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

We do not recommend installing Mathcad 14 after Mathcad 15. While it is possible to install Mathcad 14 after Mathcad 15 has been installed, such configuration is not supported and you will likely run into subtle issues.

As Mike said, Mathcad 15 files can be read by Mathcad 14. If you are just trying out Mathcad 15, you can backup up your license for Mathcad 14, then uninstall it. If for some reason, you don't want to keep Mathcad 15 on your computer, you can uninstall it, then reinstall Mathcad 14.

Mona

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

We do not recommend installing Mathcad 14 after Mathcad 15. While it is possible to install Mathcad 14 after Mathcad 15 has been installed, such configuration is not supported and you will likely run into subtle issues.

Well I didn't know that. I thought there were only issues when installing.

As Mike said, Mathcad 15 files can be read by Mathcad 14. If you are just trying out Mathcad 15, you can backup up your license for Mathcad 14, then uninstall it. If for some reason, you don't want to keep Mathcad 15 on your computer, you can uninstall it, then reinstall Mathcad 14.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would go back to 14 once trying 15, unless they only have trial version.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

Well I didn't know that. I thought there were only issues when installing.

Well, if you purchased 15 as an upgrade then at a minimum you would be violating the license agreement (although I just sent you a private message regarding a subtlety of that).

Versions 11, 12, 13 and either 14 or 15 can coexist on one computer, and that is supported (i.e. it was designed to work that way). It is possible to install other versions at the same time, but that is not supported. That doesn't mean they will not run, but that there may be conflicts. IIRC that was the case if you tried installing, say, 2001i and 11 at the same time. Mostly it worked, but occasionally weird problems cropped up. That might or might not be the case for 14 and 15. "Unsupported" means, at a minimum, that nobody has checked.

Top Tags