cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing: Unrecognized Characters

SOLVED
Highlighted

Printing: Unrecognized Characters

Everytime I print, either to any of a number of printers, or to pdf I get little squares whereever equal signs, paranthesis or multiplication "dots" are. Is anyone aware of a fix for this? I've been trying off and on for a few days to resolve this.

See the attachment

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Printing: Unrecognized Characters

30 REPLIES 30

We have sometime seen this to a specific printer, but not to PDF and XPS. Can you try printing to XPS, which you do by Save As XPS?

Are you on an XP or a Win7 computer?

Can you list which printer you have and check if you have the latest printer driver in your computer.

Thanks,

Mona

Which pdf writer are you using?

Hello!

Please attach your Mathcad Prime worksheet.

Hi All,

Thanks for the help on this. Here is the requested information:

Computer:

XP Pro Service Pack 3

Printers I've tried this on:

HP Designjet 500

Xerox WorkCentre 7545 PCL6

PDF Printer I've tried this on:

PDFFactory Pro (3.x)

All yield the same results.

Attached is a sample file with just a few lines of math on it. I've also attached output from PDFFactory Pro and a scanned copy of a print out from the Xerox printer mentioned above.

Thanks,

John

This was printed using CutePDF, and it looks OK.

John,

Perhaps the issue is a corrupted font on your system. Can you reload both Symbol font and the Mathcad UniMath font. It sounds like they are not working with your printer drivers.

Mona

I have printed a file in format PDF (using Adobe PDF Printer (download Adobe Acrobat Reader here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/)), and also has saved a file in format XPS and in both cases no problems with a font existing (files can be find in attachment). I think that here any problem in system with fonts. It is possible to compare two files PDF (types of fonts are various):

Your version:

Pic_1.jpg

My version:

Pic_2.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone. I have tried to reload fonts, but am still having the same problem. I think I'm going to reinstall Mathcad and see if that fixes it. I'm kind of out of ideas. By the way, I still have Mathcad 2001i Professional installed, and it prints just fine.

Thanks

By the way, I still have Mathcad 2001i Professional installed, and it prints just fine.

That might be the problem. You can install versions 11 and later at the same time, but that is not true for earlier versions, including 2001i. Other people have done so, and report that it works, but those versions were not designed to coexist and so you may get unpredictable behavior.

Of course, it might not be the problem too