cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Summing function Wm(time,a,b,c,d) from m=0 to m=n ?

JBlackhole
16-Pearl

Summing function Wm(time,a,b,c,d) from m=0 to m=n ?

To all,

I am sure I saw something about how to do such thing but I cannot find it so needs some pointers

I have a function (see attached mcad sheet) Wm(t,am,bm,cm,dm) where t is time and am,bm,cm,dm are coefficient valid for equation m

I need to do sum of Wm from m =0 to n: Capture.PNG but I am struggling with indices in mcad

Coudl anyone refreshe my memory on this summation? It might be something with "dicretizing" the time 't' if I recall

Thanks

Regards

JXB

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to all for the help. Moving on to the next bit of the tool....

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:JBlackhole)

Like the attached?

I have change t from a range variable to a vector and also removed the units s the program works.

The attached should help.

Alan

Looks like Mike just beat me to it!

Edit: Just noticed that your original file was a .mcd, so I've added a .mcd version here.

Mike: In your file the definition of Wm still contains tdm < t > tdm+Nm/2fm. I suspect this should be tdm < t < tdm+Nm/2fm (though I could be wrong!).

Hi Alan

Thanks for the help. Am I correct to say that the Sum only works for a specific t value and not a range of t. Using Mike suggested method, I reckon that one needs to use two range variables

i for the vectorised time t

m for the number of coefficient (a,b,c,d) to consider

J B wrote:

Hi Alan

Thanks for the help. Am I correct to say that the Sum only works for a specific t value and not a range of t. Using Mike suggested method, I reckon that one needs to use two range variables

i for the vectorised time t

m for the number of coefficient (a,b,c,d) to consider

The sum as written only works for a specific value of t, but you could include this sum within another that summed over the values of t.

Alan

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Am I correct to say that the Sum only works for a specific t value and not a range of t.

It depends on what you are hunting for. As I suppose from the inserted pic you want to define a function for the second derivative of x like shown below, but I may be wrong.

And of course you may "sum" over t by using an integral.

But to be honest its unclear to me what you are really after.

1.png

Hi Werner

The function Wm is the wavelet function and as essentially 5 "variables", t(ime) and a,b,c,d coefficients. The idea is to define m sets of coefficients (a to d) and create a new function x2(t) which is the sum of all the Wm functions. A bit like a fourier series if you want

Will attach an updated mcad sheet based on all the inputs so far very shortly.

Regards

JXB

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanStevens)

AlanStevens wrote:

Alan

Edit: Just noticed that your original file was a .mcd, so I've added a .mcd version here.

Mike: In your file the definition of Wm still contains tdm < t > tdm+Nm/2fm. I suspect this should be tdm < t < tdm+Nm/2fm (though I could be wrong!).

Hi Alan,

I was a little unsure on this myself, but the tdm condition ' < t > tdm+Nm/2fm ' does return a few 'True' evaluations so I left it as it is. JXB can you clarify?

Mike Armstrong wrote:

AlanStevens wrote:

Alan

Hi Alan,

I was a little unsure on this myself, but the tdm condition ' < t > tdm+Nm/2fm ' does return a few 'True' evaluations so I left it as it is. JXB can you clarify?

It will evaluate to "true" only when t is greater than the larger of the two conditions.

Alan

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlanStevens)

AlanStevens wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

AlanStevens wrote:

Alan

Hi Alan,

It will evaluate to "true" only when t is greater than the larger of the two conditions.

Alan

Agree.

Which is does from row 951 onwards

Clipboard01.jpg

I think the way you have it is the correct way, but confirmation by JXB would be beneficial.

Capture2.PNG

Clarification for < t > statment. I changed to an OR statment. Will attahced a ver2 of the mcad sheet soon

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

J B wrote:

Clarification for < t > statment. I changed to an OR statment. Will attahced a ver2 of the mcad sheet soon

OK, that changes the sum function, too, of coursed. I used Alans version in my previous answer.

You may alternatively define

2.png

Can you clarify your need concerning that sum?

1.png

Werner

The sum of the Wm(t) functions creates a time signal/histort based on Shock Response Spectrum (SRS) specification. If one takes the time signal and convert it to an SRS (response of 1-DoF spring-mass system to the created time history) then one should get the "same-ish" SRS. The clever bit (which I haven't figures out!) is to create a (large enought) set of coefficients (a,b,c,d) to create this time history.

Capture3.PNG

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

J B wrote:

Werner

The sum of the Wm(t) functions creates a time signal/histort based on Shock Response Spectrum (SRS) specification. If one takes the time signal and convert it to an SRS (response of 1-DoF spring-mass system to the created time history) then one should get the "same-ish" SRS. The clever bit (which I haven't figures out!) is to create a (large enought) set of coefficients (a,b,c,d) to create this time history.

Comparing the two plots I guess you got what you had asked for. You may consider adding units throughout. You simply have to type something like InputFreq:=InputFreq*Hz, etc. after you exctracted the values from your table.

Thanks to all for the help. Moving on to the next bit of the tool....

Announcements

Top Tags